PHP7 on Centos 6.8

OK, it’s been quite a while since I’ve posted something here. Been quite busy with work, family and other projects I volunteer my time for. I sneak in once in a while to see where I can assist where I can.

Now, my question that my Google foo hasn’t been able to answer yet is, has anyone been able to successfuly install PHP7 on Centos 6.8? I found a guide for installing PHP7 from the webtatic repo, users from the Centos forum recommend against it, and even if I did it seems I have to remove PHP5.x first which requires me to remove a number of the NethServer modules, this obviously isn’t a good idea. Has anyone tried to install php7 on 6.8 at all?

1 Like

SCL

2 Likes

Not sure how this helps me?

As far as I know, your best bet for running anything above 5.3 is using scl… which has been problematic, I understand that trying to straight up install anything above 5.3 in 6.8 will play havoc with a few aspects of NS, so the above discussion is as much as you’re likely to find. NS 7 comes with 5.4 and I’m interested in figuring out the safest way to get to php 7 as well, because, as I’ve heard, the Nextcloud folks are likely to drop support for php 5.4 when they go to 11. Point is, instead of letting your post languish, I thought I’d give the the best idea that I know of where we’re at regarding php, something we’re kinda bound by from upstream.

1 Like

I appreciate it, perhaps this will help anyone else looking to update to php7 as well. The reason I want to go to php7 is that there is an app that works best under php7, it doesn’t quite work right on anything older than that and I want NS to server the app.

Unfortunately, this falls into the same bucket with old kernel versions.

In that case, your best bet is to try SCL

I’d suggest to use CentOS/NS 7 which has a more modern stack.

You should try to configure php 7 with fpm.
Take a look to nethserver-freepbx package for fpm config:

1 Like

Does you app is a web application or a php command line application ?

PHP command line application. Here’s the github link to it if you care to look.

Definitively the way to go is the scl, you just need to call the php70-71 by a batch file else the php version will be the default one

Look at https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/php55/ for the example

You don’t need my module but it could be an easy way to install all the php scl rpm

3 Likes

fascinating :wink: how it is simple to play with php-fpm

2 Likes