OpenVPN RoadWarrior User Disappeared

I went to the OpenVPN page to take a screenshot to assist on this question and saw that the user I had added as an OpenVPN user was no longer there.

Interestingly, I can still connect without any issues.

Is there anything I should check before trying to re-create that user.

Cheers.

This command returns empty?

db vpn show

but certificate is there:

ls -l /var/lib/nethserver/certs/eddie*
[root@Nethserver ~]# db vpn show
[root@Nethserver ~]# ls -l /var/lib/nethserver/certs/eddie*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1586 Mar  4 13:45 /var/lib/nethserver/certs/eddie@BogoLinux.net.crt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1106 Mar  4 13:45 /var/lib/nethserver/certs/eddie@BogoLinux.net.csr
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  1708 Mar  4 13:45 /var/lib/nethserver/certs/eddie@BogoLinux.net.key
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3940 Mar  4 13:45 /var/lib/nethserver/certs/eddie@BogoLinux.net.p12
[root@Nethserver ~]#

In case it’s relevant, this user was created as System user, not VPN-only.

Cheers.

Anything vpn-related in accounts db?

grep -i vpn /var/lib/nethserver/db/accounts

Is this a virtual machine you can use snapshots of?

[root@Nethserver ~]# grep -i vpn /var/lib/nethserver/db/accounts
[root@Nethserver ~]#

'Fraid not. It’s real hardware as my firewall/router.

Cheers.

I was about to suggest to make a configuration backup, then recreate the vpn user, either from the GUI or from the command line (db). Did a test and, apparently, found no adverse effect. But I’d rather wait for devs advice.

1 Like

Exactly why I reported it here before attempting the exact same thing. :grinning:

Cheers.

@dev_team
Any thoughts.

Cheers.

There was an update few days ago with a migration fragment from old db format to a new one.
You could check in /var/log/messages any change on vpn db after nethserver-openvpn update.

Should be safe also to re-add the user from the web interface.

I found the update in the logs, but there are no unusual or error messages thrown.

Re-added the user and compared the downloaded configuration with the old one. Everything appears to be back the same.

Cheers.