Not everybody is comfortable with CLI

can you give me some hints on how to disable it? I din’t find anything

It works with elinks too:

1 Like

interesting… I just can’t login… the auth form doesn’t work

Does it display the login form or just hangs ?

Try using lynx just to get the certificate, then try with elinks

elinks has a strange way of using the fields in a form…

no problem with the certificate…

It only shows me the form, I had to disable all keyboard binding… but still doesn’t work…

will dig it another day

In elinks.conf manpage there’s ecmascript parameter

A GUI is resource consuming and has no interest for debugging purpose, but I agree that people are more confident with it. I would be more interested by an ajax/JS/nm terminal in the server-manager. The most of time you need to copy and paste a command line.

I don’t need it, so I’m not interested by it…sorry :smile:

Concerning the idea to update the system during the installation or offer to install some Neth roles directly, it is good, but I worry on the skill and the work needed, anaconda needs to be modified.

1 Like

AFAIK NS uses kickstart scripts

yes but at the end it is still anaconda

For those interested, kickstart scripts are nethserver-createiso/src/lib/ks at master · NethServer/nethserver-createiso · GitHub

I just want to add something more, firstable I have not yet the skill to do what I’m asking to santa, but the installer looks too much command line, so I would love a real anaconda installer with lovely pictures…it serves no purpose but it’s pretty :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you misundestood me…

a desktop is useless, a web GUI is mandatory, cli tools are necessary, full stop
only the last can save you if your server is broken… and that’s a fact

I’m a CLI guy and I feel disoriented if I cannot ssh a server :slight_smile: I even try to put an sshd on Windows machine from time to time… Still, we chose NethServer in a project where non-technical people was involved because of its clean and simple web GUI.

NethServer has some minor issues to cover up with its web interface (for example, an interface to manage joined clients, allowing to remove them/renaming them if possible), but a massive work has already been put in place to make 95% of the things you are required to do manageable within its webgui.

I’m pretty confident its community and its developers will cope with the needs sooner or later. Plus, they developed an MVC framework with PHP, so it should be quite simple to implement some newer interfaces. We have done it and will be doing it again soon :wink:

Of course, we checked out Zentyal and ClearOS before, only to discard them because they are mainly enterprise-focused and we required a free license+no costs for the customer. They weren’t anyways as complete as NethServer, thanks to its e-smith+templating layer.

I will continue to call db/signal-event commands on the CLI, even if there will be a mobile app to customize your NethServer, granted :wink:

1 Like

Guilty as I can be :smile:

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Interface to manage joined clients

We should be shot! :joy: (I have a bad day and here I always feel better!)

Why an windows sysadmin is considered less pro than a linux sysadmin?
I was a die-hard Windows user but I could be converted to Linux. Conversely it is impossible? Even Windows does not have anything good? I doubt. I think that every system has good and less good sides.

don’t make me answer :smile:
in any case, re read how I wrote it and WHY…

the “click click”/“nex next next finish” approach, without any kind of feedback on wha’t going on and NO log at all is “the winodws approach” that made many of us being sysadmins “a la windows”… everybody can setup a web server in no time, without knowing what’s going on… and the worst thing is that with no log (you can’t consider ROTFLEvent viewer something log related) there’s no way to debug a problem…
NS doesn’t suffer the “no log” problem, but may suffer the first one…

2 Likes

The main reason behind this is that, as linux sysadmin, you have to know what’s going on under the hood to prevent any failures or analyse issues; plus the system does not try to hide information from you. This is not always possible with proprietary software (or closed-source, anyways), and additionally the debugging information is limited on what the developers think you may want to see (and usually they fail the goal :confused: ).

Professionally I am a Windows sysadmin, but I also manage some Linux installation (service machines, mainly); in some cases I stuck on some “designing” bugs on Windows-based software (eg. the 18 GB datastore limit for Exchange). This hardly happens with GNU/Linux and free software, where you have plenty of log files and all the sources are available, so if you find something that it is not as you like, you may fix it (if you have the knowledge, and here we are again :slight_smile: ).

Proprietary software is designed, mainly, to be simple to install and maintain in some defined use cases. When you fall in some non-standard setup (as it always be the case, at some point in your professional life), then you are alone on your route, good luck.

Simplicity in maintenance, management and integration is what I think is lacking in the FOSS world. I would be more than happy to see a lot of other projects like NethServer, where the developers aim to integrate different technologies with a sense of logic and purpose behind it. This is what I appreciate most of NethServer :wink:

1 Like

Hello Emilliano,

Please, do not misunderstand me! All of you! :pray:

I like NethServer! I like you all! I feel good in this Community!

And I like Linux even if I’m just starting.
I like yours arguments. Even the way you support them.

Just I’m not that kind of person that say: only this is good because I like and I understand very well and everything else is bad!

I was taught to choose what’s best from everything and from everyone. And so I will continue, without imposing anything to anyone. I respect all opinions. I think so it is fair!
I never liked something I was forced! Nor I will like!

Maybe I am too old … However, I repeat: I like NethServer! I like you all! I feel good in this Community!

And above all, the NethServer must go on!

Don’t worry man, I’d like to remind everybody that we love discussions and we love to do this respecting all opinions.
Maybe someone will build a spin as @giacomo has already mentioned, who knows? :smile:
You (generic you) have to remind just our rules: FAQ - NethServer Community
Respect each other, criticize ideas, not people, providing reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.
That said, good discussion!

1 Like

Thank you!
Thank you all!

I’m sorry if my post sounded a bit harsh, I had no intentions to offend anyone, I apologize if it was perceived like so. I didn’t want to attack anyone or say that there are better people than other: I think everyone is needed here, so we can exchange ideas and improve the overall quality of the community (and of NethServer right after).

I respect any opinion, even the wrong ones :wink: when they are supported by logical statements and motivations. Yours are, and seemed to me curiousity-driven, so they called for some explanations :slight_smile: This is how I learned on forums/communities I participated before and I think this worked pretty well before.

2 Likes