Nextcloud update instructions

NethServer Version: NethServer release 7.3.1611 (final)
Module: Nextcloud

Hello,

I’ve just installed NextCloud on my nethserver and I’m receiving the message on Nextcloud that a new version is available. Along with this message I see the following message in my Admin panel:

You are running PHP 5.4. To allow you to upgrade to Nextcloud 11 and higher you need to run at least PHP 5.6. Once you upgraded your PHP version you will be able to receive update notifications for these newer versions.

What is the process/instructions to upgrade Nextcloud in Nethserver? Will this be pushed by the devs or should I upgrade Nextcloud myself (manually)?

Thank you.

I ignore that, we’ll push an update package as soon as it’s ready.

Shortly we’ll decided what we’re doing with regards to the coming nextcloud 11 that requires php 5.6. We have a php module that allows for selection of php versions in nethserver, it works and we’ll shortly decided how we’re going to apply it globally.

4 Likes

Thank you @fasttech. Much appreciated.

Hi @fasttech, nethserver community,

Just want to clarify something since this is my first time running Nextcloud/ownCloud not on it’s own host.

I know that Nextcloud has an updater available (through the Admin panel). Would I never use the Nextcloud updater then and should I always wait until nethserver pushes an update for Nextcloud for me?

In addition to the php version message I’m also seeing a message for a new version of 10 for Nextcloud is available. I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing when it comes to software I install through the nethserver marketplace and updates on all these apps.

Thank you.

1 Like

Besides the ability to update to NextCloud 11, how can we just upgrade to the latest 10.0.4 as recommended by the NextCloud?

2 Likes

That’s a great question! It wouldn’t involve much effort WDYT @alep

1 Like

Thanks @wbilger and @alefattorini, that’s what my follow-up question was referring to as well. I’ve been reading that before Nextcloud 11 can be released PHP needs to be updated first ( I’m hoping that happens very soon!). But this minor update for Nextcloud version 10 doesn’t work from within Nextcloud (I tried it and the update within Nextcloud won’t start and fails). What has been done with previous minor versions of Nextcloud?

Thanks.

push

1 Like

I just uploaded a couple of rpms in the testing repository. Could you try it?

I could provide a working NextCloud 11 installation (with some minor limitations), but it will require a lot of testing. An volunteer for this?

Could you explain your thoughts?

I guess @wbilger @tboston @greavette will be happy to lend a hand.

I have upgraded, to 10.0.4, no problems during install, and seems to be functioning normally.
I am able to upload, download, sync, without issue, just one problem that I see so far, but I cannot say this didn’t exist before;
-1 of the folders that I sync is my Windows desktop. After a while the actual desktop shows invalid and random badges on the icons, but always works when looking at the Desktop within windows explorer. A restart of explorer.exe fixes it. I am unsure if this is because of the update to 10.0.4, I doubt it, but it is something that will cause problems for users, so thought I better mention it to see if there is something that can be done to fix it.

I also have these errors/warnings in the admin interface, I know they were there before, but would like your opinion if they should be ignored, or if there is something I can do to fix them;

The “Strict-Transport-Security” HTTP header is not configured to at least “15552000” seconds. For enhanced security we recommend enabling HSTS as described in our security tips.

No memory cache has been configured. To enhance your performance please configure a memcache if available. Further information can be found in our documentation.

You are currently running PHP 5.4.16. We encourage you to upgrade your PHP version to take advantage of performance and security updates provided by the PHP Group as soon as your distribution supports it.
Please double check the installation guides :arrow_upper_right:, and check for any errors or warnings in the log.

I know the PHP one is NS version of PHP, but if testing NC 11 is a possibility, not sure if it needs to be updated, and how will that affect the rest of NS?

I would be able to test NC 11, but wondering about what else it could affect first.

sure, we really need Nextcloud 11 anyway :slight_smile:
not sure if I can test it this week or on the coming weekend. Let me check

Tony

1 Like

Sorry for the slow reply here team. My day job keeps getting in the way (how rude! :slight_smile: ).

I do have a test nethserver just itching to get used @giacomo . But I think I need to ask a few questions first.

• I’ve added the PHP-SCL module. Will your Nextcloud install the newer version of PHP as a dependency or should I keep my PHP-SCL module installed?
  • What are the minor limitations you mention using this testing?
  • Should this test be on a clean nethserver with no Nextcloud installed or can your test RPM handle having my version 10.0.3 already installed and upgrade what I have?
  • I’ve noticed that my 10.0.3 version of Nextcloud running with PHP-SCL has a lot of errors that say “Error PHP usort(): Array was modified by the user comparison function at /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/User/Manager.php#266”. Is this going to be a problem for testing your Nextcloud 11?

Thanks!

The PHP warning will disappear, and if possible, I will try to fix the “Strict-Transport-Security” message.
I’d like to avoid the memory cache configuration because it is useful only on big installations.

Nothing will be affected :wink:

The new php scl package will be an automatic dependency.

Of course, we need to support clean installations and upgrades.

I have no idea :smiley: This error is not platform related, I bet is a minor issue probably already fixed by Nextcloud team.

EDIT (I just missed a question):

Because some PHP packages are still in testing (Additional PHP packages for RHSCL - Remi's RPM repository - Blog), nethserver-nextcloud will not have the following dependencies:

• sclo-php56-php-imap
  • sclo-php56-php-mcrypt
  • sclo-php56-php-smbclient

Thus, the related features will not work out-of-the-box.

Until these packages are in testing stage, you will need to install them manually.

1 Like

Nextcloud 11 is ready for test:

2 Likes

Awesome news @giacomo! I’ll spin up my new test nethserver and give this a
spin.

4 Likes

You should coordinate your efforts with @edi :smile: we can do a great test here