Nethserver-network-diag

good idea

2 Likes

Good idea.
I would provide at least an option to select which WAN to test, via the --source option.
Another interesting option is the selection of the test server.

speedtest.py --server=6512 --source=x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is the wan ip address.

7 Likes

I’m used to using this tool a lot. Having that on the interface would be super useful!

4 Likes

Thanks again @stephdl for this great tool. I :heart: it.
I used it yesterday to check a new machine in production.

1 Like

Oh yeah. I agree.

Me too. Besides to checking/troubleshooting I used it as Nagios plugin some time ago to check if WAN is working at good speed.

1 Like

speedtest.py --server=6512 --source=x.x.x.x

thinking loudly

We just need to test after a red and/or a green interface ???

2 Likes

I’d test the red interface, you should test the green interface only it is the only available network interface (like inside a VPS)

yum install speedtest-cli --enablerepo=epel-testing

speedtest-cli is not available in epel, we can either install it from ‘pip’ or use the epel-testing version, what would be the most safe way.

I bet for pip, but once installed I know that we might have some issues if we want to switch to the epel version.

thinking loudly, what is the more easy to recall in the drop box, the nic name, or the IP

@xcod speedtest-cli is incorporated now in nethserver-diagtools, you just need to wait the NS7.4, a matter of a little time.

you can speed up it by testing the new iso

1 Like

I just installed NS from the last ISO (7.4.1708 beta1) and the speed test is not present, even if is announced here:

NethServer 7.4.1708 beta 1 released

Maybe in the final version.

@giacomo is it normal

Hello,

installed speedtest first.

yum install speedtest-cli --enablerepo=epel-testing

Tried to update nethserver-diagtools but no success.

Then I tried downloading the zip from github and do it manually but it didn’t work.

Then I just reinstalled nethserver-diagtools

yum reinstall nethserver-diagtools

and it worked. Don’t know if it was a combination of what I did or if just reinstalling is enough

EDIT:

Tried it on another system. Just do

yum reinstall nethserver-diagtools
Dependencies Resolved

================================================================================
 Package                  Arch       Version          Repository           Size
================================================================================
Reinstalling:
 nethserver-diagtools     noarch     1.0.0-1.ns7      nethserver-base      23 k
Installing for dependencies:
 speedtest-cli            noarch     1.0.2-1.el7      nethserver-base      38 k

Transaction Summary
Install               ( 1 Dependent package)
Reinstall  1 Package
1 Like

I forgot the translation for the server ID field :’(

It will come with a future upgrade

1 Like

Thank you!

PS:

https://www.speedtestserver.com/

4 Likes

@stephdl
cc: @alefattorini

Just an idea:
Can you show in the Speed test page the link to the page with the list of servers for testing internet bandwidth or in the HELP section of the page?

Or maybe here, as link: “Server ID (see speedtest servers)”

The list is to big and I think the content is also pretty dynamic to create this list inside the ns speedtest app and the effort don’t worth. At least an information.
Maybe somebody is interested to know the ID of the speedtest servers 

Of course, if you and the Nethesis Team consider this to be useful and don’t brake the rules.

2 Likes

Good idea

1 Like