NethServer Hotsync [Needs Testing]

I have tested nextcloud and work for me.
Here is a list of packages to be tested by everyone wants to help :thumbsup:

1 Like

last package in nethserver-testing reository: nethserver-hotsync-1.0.0-1.46.g80dbaf5.ns7.noarch.rpm

1 Like

@Sebastian is also developing an interface, but I think that you’ll see it next week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ill need to set up another server for this :smiley: looks good!

2 Likes

If you lend a hand, you would be more than welcome!

A new interface for nethserver-hotsync in nethserver-cockpit is ready for testing:

GitHub Repository nethserver-cockpit-hotsync: GitHub - NethServer/nethserver-cockpit-hotsync

Install

First install nethserver-cockpit:

After install nethserver-cockpit-hotsync:

yum install http://packages.nethserver.org/nethserver/7.4.1708/testing/x86_64/Packages/nethserver-cockpit-hotsync-0.1.3-1.ns7.noarch.rpm

Now NethServer Hotsync is configurable in NethServer Cockpit, Applications.

8 Likes

Awesome, I will look at the new interface in cockpit right away.

@Stll0 I have been away for weekend, but first tests this morning, and with the new version of hotsync, the IO errors are gone, and now file deletions work as expected. Great news! I will test a restore today.

1 Like

Give this man a like!!! :thumbsup:

3 Likes

I have the nethserver-cockpit-hotsync up and running looks good. Is there plans to add any functionality to it, like sync times? I assume so, if that functionality is added to hotsync.
FYI, I had to log out of cockpit, and log back in, as until then, the NethServer Hotsync settings showed as ‘not available’, not sure if that is normal behaviour or not.
Should or can cockpit/hotsync be added to the slave to aid in role changing, or should slave be left a fresh install as suggested by @Stll0? Although, once an initial promotion to master is done, it would have all of the modules at that point once set back to slave.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help :clap:
If sync time will be added to hotsync it will be visible in cockpit interface too.
At the momento after new cockpit module installation recommend to run systemctl restart cockpit and all wil be fine.
Nethserver-hotsync-cockpit and nethserver-cockpit can be installed on master and slave because they do not conflict with nethserver-hotsync. Configuring, if you select role Master the information to be entered will be different than if you select role Slave so you can configure nethserver-hotsync completely using the interface both in master and slave.

1 Like

I’ve created the relative issue 5401

2 Likes

We have a new testing package :tada:

Call to arms
If you want to test if your favourite module works with HotSync, there’s a lot of packages to check. Look at the issue

@lucag nethserver-webtop5 is waiting for you. I should have fixed the problem you reported
@mrchiao @mrmarkuz I’ve tried nethserver-freepbx and seems to work, but I’m biased :innocent:
@wbilger I think that issue with nextcloud and roundcube should be resolved, but I didn’t test it
@Jclendineng @jjimenez let me know if it works now with your setup (and what modules you confirm to be tested)

3 Likes

I’ve tried a couple promotions of slave to master, here is what I found.
First, what does command “# hotsync-slave”, as I’ve noticed if I don’t run it it works.

• If I shut down master, and just run config restore on slave, everything seems to be good, I can then login to cockpit on new ‘master’ and disable hotsync, so I don’t keep getting error messages that can’t find slave.
    EDIT… Also, would it be possible or a good idea, to disable hotsync on the promotion to master, to not get the error messages, as typical scenario would be to use backup until proper ‘Master’ is fixed, so would not have a ‘slave’ of promoted master.
    Also, what is the command to disable Hotsync on master, without uninstalling.

• If I shut down master, and hotsync-slave, and then then run config restore on slave, cockpit is there, but hotsync-cockpit is not, and if I add it, it says already installed. If I remove and re-install, it is still not there.
    Both methods see the following issues in WebTop, and Nextcloud, tested with most recend update.

1. Is it necessary to run signal-event nethserver-hotsync-update after upgrading hotsync?
  2. Can we continue from existing slave, or should we try a fresh install and full hotsync?

Webtop Issues (still present with newest Hotsync update)

• email flags are all there, except memo (may not be a flag). Memo icon is there on email, but there is not memo data, and after some time (refresh?), memo icon is gone
    -Calendar items not synced
  • Contacts not synced
  • Tasks not synced

NextCloud Issues (still present with newest Hotsync update)

• installed Apps are not installed (if you install the App after, App data is present though)

@wblinger sorry, I wasn’t clear before: to put again in production you now have to launch signal-event nethserver-hotsync-restore

hotsync-slave is executed every hour, it’s useful to give it by hand only in testing environment. It take the list of NethServer packages installed on master and install (or update) them without launching configuration scripts.

@Sebastian maybe hotsync-cockpit is in backup package list:
tar -xf /var/lib/nethserver/backup/backup-config.tar.xz -C / var/lib/nethserver/backup/package-list
cat /var/lib/nethserver/backup/package-list

nethserver-hotsync-update exent is executed automatically after package installation/update. Every nethserver package launch signal-event $NAME-update

You can use slave as new master (I’m not sure if I got the question)

try with signal-event nethserver-hotsync-restoreinstead of restoring config

1 Like

I confirm that by executing the signal-event nethserver-hotsync-restore on the SLAVE server I find all the webtop data without problems.

2 Likes

This works much better now! I have tested it a few more times now, just to make sure I was getting consistent results.

I was just asking for testing purposes of the new hotsync update, if we should continue from the slave that had already had the old hotsync running, or start with a fresh install. I just continued.[quote=“lucag, post:60, topic:8391”]

[/quote]
Ok, now I can confirm that Webtop data all is there, all seems good.
Roundcube seems all good too!

Still have the following issue in NextCloud.

But, it is a little different it seems (I believe they showed as not installed with previous hotsync, but I am not 100% sure).
The Nextcloud Apps seem to be installed, but do not show up in ‘Enabled apps’.
If I find the app in the apps list, it shows as enabled, but an update is available. If I install the update, the app now shows up, and all data is there.

Also, hotsync-cockpit is still not installed, but if I install it, it now shows up in cockpit. (Before it would not install as it said it was already installed, but did not show up in cockpit).

Getting pretty close!!

4 Likes

Excellent work guys! :clap:

2 Likes

I confirm: I have the same behavior.
I’ve searched some solution using occ tool, but it seems not suitable.
occ app:list does not show neither apps to be updated and in addition it does have some upgrade/update command to use with app.

As Alessandro already said, Nextcloud apps are not part of the data backup, thus apps are not synchronized by hotsync.

We have 2 paths:

• include a special code inside hotsync to handle also Nextcloud apps
  • leave the behavior similar, as much as possible, to current backup&restore procedure and document that the user should reinstall missing apps (just how he/she should do in case of a normal disaster recovery)

What do you think? /cc @wbilger

Since I’m a lazy programmer, I vote for the second choice :smiley: