NethServer 8: wishlist for the conference

already exists, install nethserver-phppgadmin

thinking of it…I took a look to kubernetes, but I believe/wonder if it is not outside the scope of nethserver. Actually I’m rather playing with portainer

Or cockpit as way to manage docker containers.

Also portainer is a nice choice. Although redhat is actively maintaining and contributing to kubernetes in order for it to be the base of its proprietary container infrastructure. What they still lack is a well defined backup infrastructure.

About postgres and all the rest, yes, in community packages… what I wondered is: there are lotsa interesting packages (like backuppc, ocsinventory, etc.), is there some timeline to make these enter officially supported modules available from software center?

1 Like

For now, they will remain into the @stephdl’s repository.[ Who needs your love]
(Stephdl needs our love ❤) :heart:

6 Likes

What do you think about integrating Horde groupware to Nethserver 8?

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Shared folders connection management UI

More functionality on Web Manager for Samba DC, there should be a way to join an existing domain as additional domain controller from Web Manager

High Availability for services (maybe by using vrrp with floating ip and synchronized configuration)

2 Likes

This is already available in the Enterprise version.
I don’t know of any plan to open source it.

2 Likes

How about a checkbox to hide additional languages in software center. I don’t need to know there is a module for ancient sandscript every time I click on software center.

Or a tab called “Language Packs”. Packages should be excluded by the tab “All software”

5 Likes

Multi tenant email is a must for any modern Web Panel.

1 Like
  1. Cockpit finished, absolutely love the design.
  2. Better IPS/IDS, evebox is a start, but a full elk stack would be a must have built in, more information from suricata/snort and a way to manage logs. Like the pfsense implementation of the suricata package. Basically, custom rules, white/black lists, etc. I do this now manually but pfsense has a solid implementation imo.
  3. Better ways to manage a raid array.
1 Like

Yeah, this really is pretty important, and it’s the case for many prepackaged distros. They give you a nice GUI way to set up the initial RAID, but from then, you’re on your own with the CLI. Maybe I’m just spoiled by my NAS, but if this is a GUI-managed distro, then at least basic RAID management should be part of the GUI.

4 Likes

What abt the way SME-Server it does, do you know it?

SME works in (almost) the same way I described–it automates setting up the RAID in the first place through the installer, but you’re pretty well on your own to manage it at the CLI afterward. There is something in the console menu that will show the RAID status, but I don’t believe there’s anything that helps with replacing disks and rebuilding things.

SME-Server Wiki: Raid

Perhaps I should have been clearer. There’s documentation covering RAID management for SME, but there are no tools in SME to ease RAID management–you’re stuck with the standard Linux CLI tools.

I think at the moment (if you rule out webmin) there are no viable GUI tools for disk management for CentOS. There used to be a project called mdadm-GUI, but it ceased to exist.
Yes it is a steep learning curve, but if you need to use raid management, you have to learn mdadm commandline.
Just to clearify why I rule out webmin: Webmin directly changes config files. With the NethServer e-smith templating system in place, any config file will be recreated when a service restarts or a server reboots. This will revert any changes made outside the e-smith templating system. http://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/latest/templates.html
This also means that IF someone stands up to develop such a module, it must be with the e-smith templating functionality integrated.

3 Likes

Basically much is already included, currently I miss the product maintenance.

a) better handling of the elements in the GUI

• eJabberd (see)
  • Mailserver (MX Backup)
  • Firewall open and close ports and assign them to specific services

b) FreeRadius support

1 Like

Radius support is partly available through the module created by @areguera Nethserver-freeradius package available for testing - #5 by areguera
Maybe someone can pick up this initiative and enhance the module with user auth.

1 Like