NethServer 8: wishlist for the conference

SME works in (almost) the same way I described–it automates setting up the RAID in the first place through the installer, but you’re pretty well on your own to manage it at the CLI afterward. There is something in the console menu that will show the RAID status, but I don’t believe there’s anything that helps with replacing disks and rebuilding things.

SME-Server Wiki: Raid

Perhaps I should have been clearer. There’s documentation covering RAID management for SME, but there are no tools in SME to ease RAID management–you’re stuck with the standard Linux CLI tools.

I think at the moment (if you rule out webmin) there are no viable GUI tools for disk management for CentOS. There used to be a project called mdadm-GUI, but it ceased to exist.
Yes it is a steep learning curve, but if you need to use raid management, you have to learn mdadm commandline.
Just to clearify why I rule out webmin: Webmin directly changes config files. With the NethServer e-smith templating system in place, any config file will be recreated when a service restarts or a server reboots. This will revert any changes made outside the e-smith templating system. http://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/latest/templates.html
This also means that IF someone stands up to develop such a module, it must be with the e-smith templating functionality integrated.

3 Likes

Basically much is already included, currently I miss the product maintenance.

a) better handling of the elements in the GUI

• eJabberd (see)
  • Mailserver (MX Backup)
  • Firewall open and close ports and assign them to specific services

b) FreeRadius support

1 Like

Radius support is partly available through the module created by @areguera Nethserver-freeradius package available for testing - #5 by areguera
Maybe someone can pick up this initiative and enhance the module with user auth.

1 Like

Sorry for the blur!

I meant FreeRadius with the identification on Username / Password of LDAP or Samba4 DC.

And a reasonable alternative for SOGO, my personal favorite would be Horde.

But once I’m on the addendum, the GUI just rethinking on logical - clear - functionality.

We have the “best tools” on board for many conceivable scenarios, but without a console you can not fully use them (sometimes only very limited).

Here are some examples:

• wants to remove machine account in Samba again, or just want to look which are created - console
  • eJabberd - integrate external servers - console
  • set up another email server as MX backup - console
  • AutoMX console
  • FireWall - Unlock Port and Bind to Services - Console

and a few more!

Whereby I have to say, we have a huge piece of software that works great!

I complain on high level, but I have convinced colleagues and friends that these NS need to be happier in their lives, and then they have to set some things by console - that was a culture shock for you.

But after the basic setup - it works and they are happy!

Therefore, less new feature but the existing possibilities optimize.

I agree that it would be convenient to have these options through a (web)GUI. But these are not trivial to implement. Although I think nethserver-phpldapadmin module sohould be able to do the job on deleting a machine account in Samba4 account provider phpldapadmin [NethServer Wiki]

1 Like

I realize that, but that’s important.
The range of functions now covers a large number of areas, and now would be a good time to improve handling.
The big construction sites are serviced, now the details of the so-called fine grinding come.

1 Like

I agree- Is some kind of a standard.

And I would repeat to think ablout Implementation of anydoc for collabrative office, or equal and possible a CRM like Odoo as modules. Would make NS even more outstanding then it is already :wink: .
I know more and more people founding companies, who would really aprechiate such a egg laying woll milk pig.

It isn’t anydoc (with which I’m not familiar), but there’s already a module out for OnlyOffice inside Nextcloud–this might do what you’re looking for. Though I’d still like to see a reverse proxy arrangement so it doesn’t need a non-standard port.

There’s also a module for Horde, though it’s in a fairly early state.

2 Likes

My mistake- sorry.
But as a dumb user I´d like to have it installed from the GUI (NS or Cockpit- whatever it will be in the future) directly -just wishing. And afaik you have to set up also an OnlyOffice Server!? The Nextcloud Module only links it to the Users?!

2 Likes

The module sets up the OnlyOffice server for you. But you’re right, it isn’t (yet) a pushbutton installation.

2 Likes

Wishes: whats about a GUI Implementation for editing and making Cron Tasks?

There already is one:

https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=crontab

2 Likes

wow- didn´t knew it

But is there a tool to see existing cron job´s e.g. hotsync?

Seems there is no easy way, I found some links:

Webmin can…

2 Likes

I doubt it can on NethServer because of the e-smith templating engine.
Webmin directly edits config files. E-smith will regenerate config files at each service restart and reboot.

1 Like

L2TP. Part of my little dreams.