Multiple, separate domains email server

Testing NS7/SOGov3 found out the sogo-tool is relying on sogo.conf…

So there are more reasons to move, could it be possible to get together as an community and tackle this this?

Yes! Love this approach. @davidep would you put us on the right track?

It’s getting OT, so better to split this off;

I’ve got an idea how to involve novice’s like me to do this;

make an testing/dev rpm with /etc/e-smith/events/nethserver-sogo-update/templates2expand/etc/sogo/sogo.conf;
and a template sogo.conf containing standard (//marked out) content.

So nothing chances, but we thinker’s can make a custom (perl) template and test this by moving GNUstep-default out of the way .

You can do it by your own :wink:

cc; @alefattorini, @giacomo, @davidep, @filippo_carletti

Hi guys,

Regarding this goal (Multiple, “partial separate” domains email server), I have a question to you.

I intend to unify my Zentyal Email Server (Multiple, “partial separate” domains email server) with the new NethServer 6.7 Email Server (for now, totally about 120 email domains with about 250 email accounts, and I hope to grow).

My question is how will be the upgrade to NS 7 which came with some new things?

The email server will have no PDC or/and AD Integration, no Shared Folders - Samba, just email hosting, and will be placed in DMZ.
Because of that, it’s better to start with the new NS7 even if is Alpha version and I think that for this task everything it’s OK with this version, or to use NS 6.7 and the upgrade will be easy?
All clients use POP3, so all emails are on desktops, so the only problem could be with the transfer of the email accounts, user accounts and passwords.
The web email is SOGo.

TIA,
Gabriel

I think nobody knows how it will be at this moment.

It’s too early to talk about ns7 on production… the upgrade path is unknown.

Did you evaluate an alternative, mail-oriented solution (like iRedMail)? NethServer is all-in-one, thus it could not be the right choice for your 120 mail domains scenario…

Hi Davide,

Thank you for your answer!

1. OK.
  2. OK.
  3. I have tried iRedMail. It’s better than Zentyal and NS for this task because is multiple complete separate domains email server, but the admin interface is poor (at least the free version). I used AXIGEN, but is free for maximum 100 email accounts, regardless of the number of domains.
    And I need an Open Source solution.
    And I like NS.
    And I will stay on NS 6.7 and will see what will be to do at that moment (the upgrade to NS 7). The administration of domains and email accounts is made by me and not by the customers.

Gabriel

1 Like

Thank you Gabriel! I’m happy to hear NS can compete even against such mail solutions :smiley:

1 Like

@GG_jr
iRedMail has global address book through all domains.
I have already checked this point.

Hi Nas,

I know that.
For me, the main question regarding NS is the upgrade to the next version and how much impact may have this upgrade to the current version.
The rest of things may be solved. With yours support, of course! :wink:

1 Like

OK! It’s time!

After a lot of tests, first implementation (for production) of NethServer 6.7 (final) as multiple domains email server, placed in DMZ.

But an error occurred at the final of packages installation, of course after the first update (please see the pictures).
After I pressed “CLEAR YUM CACHE”, I checked the “Installed Packages” and all that I’ve chosen are there.

The message say to “retry the install/update operation”. I can’t do that without remove all installed packages first. Is this necessary?

A week ago, when I installed NS 6.7 for testing, I had the same issue. I installed the same packages. After “CLEAR YUM CACHE”, the NS worked normally, without “retry the install/update operation”.

But now is not for testing.
Please advice.

TIA,
Gabriel

1 Like

Thanks for your report!

Well the CLEAR YUM CACHE button is a new feature. Probably it appears when any error occurs during installation, even if it is not related to YUM.

I see from your screenshots httpd had some troubles. Could you look at /var/log/messages and /var/log/httpd/error_log to see if httpd wrote something?

Hi Davide,

Here is the log for /var/log/httpd/error_log.
The file /var/log/messages is too big.
There are some errors about httpd in conjunction with sogo during installation (service not started) but later there are no errors regarding httpd.
Maybe is nothing wrong.

BR,
Gabriel

1 Like

I agree!

Thank you for your support!
Have a nice weekend!
Gabriel

1 Like

I started to configure NS 6.7 as multiple domains email server, placed in DMZ, with SOGo groupware.

Tests:

• send & receive from desktops (Windows), Outlook 2013, Thunderbird (POP3, IMAP).
  • send & receive from Windows Phone (Lumia 930, Win 8.1, Lumia Denim), Android Phone (version 5.1), POP3, IMAP.
  • Calendar sync: SOGo - Thunderbird (CalDAV), both ways; SOGo - Outlook 2013 (WebDAV ICS), only from SOGo to Outlook.
  • External login with email account (on SOGo webmail).
  • Hide Global Address Book for all domains (workaround).

In this configuration:

• for IMAP settings it may be used only email address as user name.
  • for POP3 settings it may be used only user’s account name as user name (not works with email address).
  • for login at user’s profile on NS Web UI (for changing password and/or contact informations) it may be used only user’s account name.

Question:

Can be used only email address (which is unique for anyone and anywhere) as “user name” for POP3 and user’s interface?

TIA,
Gabriel

I’m planning it on ns7, where sssd by default sets the @domain suffix on user names. This way the username becomes the default email address too and the underlying code… pufff! :blush:

Hi Davide,

Great news! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I hope will be soon! :wink:
Till then, my users will not be so happy … ( :angry:)

@davidep wrote:

I’m planning it on ns7, where sssd by default sets the @domain suffix on user names. This way the username becomes the default email address too and the underlying code… pufff!

Has this already been realized?

Yes, in NS 7.
I have not tested on NS 7, as email server for multiple different domains.
As you can see, here is about NS 6.8.