Missing Samba home directory

I setup a new ns7 machine as AD/DC. I can join the domain. I can access shared folders.
But there is no home directory for the users. Neither in /home nor in /var/lib/nethserver/home.
In networkbrowser it shows a “user@domain” share, but that doesn’t exist.
Creating groups also doesn’t work.

1 Like

The home directory should be created when the user PAM session starts. This happens on ssh login, and I hope it should happen on shared folder access, too.

About the group-create error: it looks similar to the @fasttech’s one. Thanks for reporting it, I’ll try to reproduce it.

2 Likes

It does not happen :frowning:

If since 2005 Samba didn’t implement some kind of PAM integration, the solution could be

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-June/106958.html

obey pam restrictions seems appropriate

# testparm -v -s | grep obey
[...]
    obey pam restrictions = No

That parameter was “Yes” on ns6!

When Samba is configured to enable PAM support (i.e., --with-pam), this parameter will control whether or not Samba should obey PAM’s account and session management directives. The default behavior is to use PAM for clear-text authentication only and to ignore any account or session management. Samba always ignores PAM for authentication in the case of encrypt passwords = yes. The reason is that PAM modules cannot support the challenge/response authentication mechanism needed in the presence of SMB password encryption.

Default: obey pam restrictions = no

Other issue: the home directory path does not contain the domain suffix

cn: first.user
[...]
userPrincipalName: first.user@dpnet.nethesis.it
objectCategory: CN=Person,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=dpnet,DC=nethesis,DC=it
loginShell: /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
unixHomeDirectory: /var/lib/nethserver/home/first.user
objectClass: top
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: user
[..]

EDIT
If obey pam restrictions is Yes the home directory is created by oddjob, but is not where Samba expects. In smb.conf:

[homes]
[...]
path = /var/lib/nethserver/home/%S

There’s a small bugfix for Samba home shares! @flatspin @quality_team

2 posts were split to a new topic: What version of Samba does v7-beta1 uses?

It’s seem Samba home directory is now showing v7-beta2. That’s good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.