Introducing new members on community - 20 Oct 15

Check this search:
http://community.nethserver.org/search?q=proxmox

Hi everybody, I’m Roberto Casadei and I’m a freelance IT consultant.
Like many of you I’m a Zentyal refugee and I stumbled upon Nethserver right in their forums, searching for a valid alternative to their project, which is going far away from what was my idea of SBS replacement. I’m using NS in my home lab at the moment and it works nicely on a MINIX barebone PC (Intel Atom, 4GB RAM, 300GB HD, 2 NIC’s) acting as PDC/DHCP/NTP/DNS/Firewall/CUPS server. A second installation in a white box ESXi VM allows me to test & research in a safer environment. I’m pretty satisfied with NS, so I started spreading it to my colleagues and my customers. Keep up the good work! :smile:

Hi, my name is Carlton Stennett, I am currently using Clear-OS but have been testing NS for several months now. I am impress with the webgui and I am seriously considering a switch but I think I am going to hang on for NS 7+ mainly because of python2.7 and php5.6
For the meantime I will continue running NS as a private mail server (love it)……………

@Alejandro_Guerra, @Nexus, @Trelawny, we’re happy to welcome you on-board.

@Alejandro and @Nexus, both of you have experience with Zentyal, and so are our other members here.

I think you’ll have to ask those with previous experience. Check the link given by @alefattorini.

Hi @Nexus the more reason to spread NS and give a breathing room to clients.

That’s good news!!! Glad they liked it as well as we all do.

NS started with small (but, mind you, capable) community. With it (and a corporate backing), NS has been a great product, how much more if the community grows? It will only get better. So we invite you to chime-in your ideas.

@Trelawny, there are also some community members here with ClearOS experience. I, myself, have tried and have put it in production…only to see it falter, not because of ClearOS itself but on the network card which is not supported. I really liked it better than Zentyal (at those times) but Ubuntu supports marvel-yukon which was erratic on RH installs (I think they say its all about something on how drivers are being detected and implemented…some years back).

1 Like

So new friends:

Who are you?
What you’re working on?
What brings you to NethServer!
What interesting software do you have found lately? How you spent your free time?
Do you have already tested/installed NethServer?
If you haven’t read it yet please give a look to our Top Discussions and the Getting Started Topic

Hello guys i’m Uroš from Slovenia. I’m computer technician and Linux enthusiast and in IT in general. Almost all that i learned i learnt by my self, What i an working on? I’m working on everything hehe… i try do learn from IT about virtualization, networking, programming, administrating Linux( i don’t like Windows for this kind of purpose-although for graduation i was working on Windows Server 2012 R2 about virtualization with hyper-v, AD, DHCP, DNS, IIS setup).

And right now i’m testing/using NethServer 6.7. I’m using it because i liked simplity of the system. It’s modular what i like just like “OpenMediaVault”. I didn’t told you what i’m working on. I am working on my local network to have my own local computer lab for testing etc.

My free time… there isn’t much. Cause i’m working on a radio and doing sometimes field work to prepare to concerts and show but when I do i go out with friends, playing soccer etc.

oohh I didn’t said that i am also translating Nethserver in slovenian language

Regards

1 Like

Hallo,

my name is Denis.

I’m running 2 Zentyal servers and I’m looking for a reliable alternative to Z 4.0.
Zentyal is developing in a wrong direction - from my point of view …

I’m using Linux since 1999 for all my private desktops, mediacenters and servers and in my company too.

So I’m a little bit familiar with Linux. My favourite distribution are Mageia, Jolla Sailfish and Meamo on N900.

At the moment I’m evaluating Nethserver and I’m preparing the migration of to small Zentyal servers to Nethserver: my private and the server of the small soaring club where I’m flying.

I’m impressed of the Nethserver project - all is very clear structured and is working as expected. I don’t understand only one thing: why a new not known groupware came on board and what was the motivation for this decision…

My hobbies are Linux, soaring and photographing.

with warm regards from Germany

Denis

Ehi Denis, welcome here!
maybe you are interested in this topic:

Because we have here the main developers :slight_smile: @gabriele_bulfon and @raffaele_fullone and because that’s a great product to support, it makes the switch from outlook very smooth thanks to his theme and features.
I agree with you, we have to go deeper on this. I’m planning a blog post about this new product.

What about a guide about switching from Zentyal to NethServer?

Welcome @Uros_Benkic! I think most of us are self-taught and have been trying to be jack-of-all-trades. I also have been learning and looking for ways to better administer network/systems.

Be sure to check the documentation for NS 6.7. :grinning:

I think @alefattorini would be glad to hear about it.

1 Like

@alefattorini already knows that. i am glad to meet this kind of people like you.

2 Likes

I already noted your efforts :smile:

@Uros_Benkic, I’m also glad to meet you and glad that your efforts are noted :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Guys

What brings me to nethserver is the quest for a simple router (with extendable modules), that supported my hardware. I’m currently running a small Ubuntu Xen server and I’ve been looking to route my internet connection through a guest using PCI passthrough, both wired and wireless.

I’ve tried OPNSense, Sophos UTM, Sphirewall, Debian, ClearOS, IPFire, Endian, Untangle, PFSense and finally Nethserver. The only other distro that managed to support all my hardware requirements and included a UI was IPFire, but I wasn’t a great fan of it’s interface.I was immediately drawn to Nethserver’s modern and clear presentation.

In the past I also used ebox and clark connect, but I’m not interested in a SBS, rather a solid performing router. Additionally the guest needs to support the PVHVM drivers.

Hope that explains my interest in Nethserver.

P.S. I’m a home user, so I play with these technologies purely out of interest :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Huxy,

Welcome and thanks for sharing your experience with us. We are glad that things are working out for you. Do not hesitate to chime in our requests and ideas, it will make NethServer better.

Hallo,

last weekend I moved my first server from Zentyal to Nethserver and I’m very satisfied with the result.
All is running as expected… :smile:

Great things! Which services did you have moved? Would you like to help us out with this? Guide about switching from Zentyal to NethServer

Wow… I just saw the mail regarding this thread :stuck_out_tongue: .

• Who are you?
  • What you’re working on?
  • What brings you to NethServer!
  • What interesting software do you have found lately? How you spent your free time?
  • Do you have already tested/installed NethServer?
  • If you haven’t read it yet please give a look to our Top Discussions and the Getting Started Topic

• Tom, Dutch guy, 23 y/o
  • Nothing at the moment
  • Just wanted to have a server that works :smile:, fiddling around and exploring some software
  • All I got is free time. No job in IT or studies (sad but true). Virtualisation is my strong side. I like to virtualize everything (except the hypervisor itself ofcourse).
  • Installed yes. tested, no. Can’t get the default passwords to work.
  • Done.
1 Like

Hi Denis and Tom,

Welcome aboard! Hope you find NethServer useful.

Great! Let us know if you encounter an error, our community guys are such helpful ones.

It just works and ease of configuration/simple GUI are some of the things we’re hearing from those who’s trying it. :+1:

[quote=“SilentDecode, post:20, topic:1883”]
No job in IT or studies (sad but true).
[/quote] :pray:

[quote=“SilentDecode, post:20, topic:1883”]
Virtualisation is my strong side. I like to virtualize everything (except the hypervisor itself ofcourse).
[/quote] :grin:

Default account:

• Default user name: root
  • Default password: Nethesis,1234

Ehi any news about proxmox and NethServer?

Roberto, did you have installed NethServer for your customers? How is it going? Any issue?

Do you have already tried the new NethServer 7 alpha? What are your feelings?

Ehi Uros, how are you?
Would you Like to translate the manual too? Like the german people?

Ehi Denis how are you? Any news from Germany?

Ehi @Huxy Are you still around? Would you like to help us with a new comparison with IPFire?

Hey, I’m still around.

What sort of comparison are you after? I am pretty busy with work and family at the moment, so can’t guarantee timings etc.

No strict timings are expected, are you able to write down a few things about NethServer vs IPFire?
I see you’re pretty expert in that field