Improving modules installed in the Software Center

In the software center, the first tab is to make “installed modules”, otherwise as soon as you enter the software center begins checking the availability of packages on the Internet. And I just wanted to see what modules I have installed - I’m sitting waiting like a fool. And if a slow channel, so you can go hang.
Installation of modules should be done in the background - clicked “update” and went to other sections to do something.

4 Likes

Hi,

Really good suggestion… I like it a lot.
:+1:

1 Like

You need to always download all metadata to know what modules are installed because modules are yum group, so you must download updated metadata :slight_smile:

But we can imagine a little database to stock theses informations or even a file… these information a colllected from a yum command, stocked…
And the next time the user go in the software center, to have the result directly from the arquived information.
Or a snapshot of the “installed tab” and the next time we are going in software center to show this snapshot.

I think here are various way to achieve this goal.

You need to replicate yum cache which is really really hard.

Also, we don’t really use yum inside the package manager, but a tool built over yum libs. This means that the tool doesn’t have all yum features, like the ability to read data only from cached metadata.

Sorry but I disagree :smiley: The only way is to use an package manager frontend like packagekit, but the work would take weeks.

no, no, no… Nothing is impossible is this world…:smiley:

To have this information…in the Installed tab… a script do something, make a task, do a job.
So, basically, save the result somewhere ln a buffer, a cache, a database, a files (in the unix way) and use this information the next time you have to use it.

To said the same thing with other words, in place to push the information " in real time", push the same information “for next time” and put the same information in “saved information”
And in place to use " the real time information" in the “installed tab”… You use the “saved information”

Better and faster to use the yum command line :smiley:

The shell will never play false

2 Likes

yes but no… Look at the “like” number in the first post.

So much people wants something…but how much make it

Please just do it!!!

1 Like

With the e-smith layer… I can’t sincerely :unamused:
And apparently, it’s hard for he Dev Team :confused:

You don’t need to use the e-smith layer. Build a working prototype, I will find some developers to “morph” the prototype into a package using the e-smith layer.

1 Like

Honestly the esmith layer is the backend and it is really easy…nethgui is much more harder :smiley:

I’m fighting with a specific case for nethserver-awstats. I need to call for helps :slight_smile:

1 Like