How to use CalDav to sync Calendar between WebTop and Thunderbird/Android?

When we talk about WebTop5, we mainly mean to talk about the whole web application, as a replacement of local desktop applications, notoriously hard to maintain and control.

So, my first important question, before going on with the bunch of requests, is: why do you still want to use TB instead of the full featured WT5?

:slight_smile:

Happy to hear it! I was told this feature has been dropped, this is why I updated the public document.
Could you please open a pull request and keep the public roadmap in sync with your internal one?
(This is the file: webtop5/README.md at master · NethServer/webtop5 · GitHub)

Because TB feels like home :smiley: I still use a couple of desktop applications: TB for the mail and Pidgin for the chat.
But you’re totally right! :smiley: I’m trying to replace my TB with WT5 starting from now!

1 Like

Hi,

With me it is a question, how much calendar I can sync with webtop5 and ActiveSync on the androids of my family. Sogo was able to synchronize only one calender and one address book with ActiveSync. Can Webtop 6 calendars or address books? So because of the limitation in Sogo I asked for the caldav-Support in webtop 5.

thx

Ohps
I think there was a misunderstanding by my side

The CalDAV/CardDAV support on our internal roadmap is not what you intended, it’s the other way : support for external CalDAV/CarDAV accounts to be added as WT5 calendars/contacts resources.

Actually I don’t remember the real reason why we ditched the implementation of the CalDAV/CardDAV server components in WT5. I will double-check this.

Anyway, we may discuss about putting it back in the roadmap, if there are good reasons for it.

1 Like

With WT5, using ActiveSync, you can synchronize all or some of the calendars of a single account (using the “synchronize” checkbox in the calendar/contacts resource properties).
Then you may also have many ActiveSync accounts configured on the same device, each with its own calendars and contacts.

Does this answer your question?

1 Like

Some of them had already been replied.
Some others I added an answer just now :wink:

1 Like

Activesync in sogo it is one calendar and one addressbook but hopefully you can have several caldav and carddav with sogo.

Never use the Microsoft protocol and you are safe

1 Like

ActiveSync in WebTop 4/5 is any personal calendar and any personal addressbook, being able to choose wich ones are enabled for sync.
For shared calendar, there is no way to receive them directly on the personal account via ActiveSync.
You may always configure more ActiveSync accounts with the shared ones credentials.

So with webtop i can have several calendars/addressbooks and sync them by activesync.

The killer feature of activesync is the one credential to sync all ressources
i must admit :slight_smile:

Yes, we’re looking for a possibility.
We will talk with the z-push guys to see if there is any plan for a feature like this directly in the protocol.
Or we will look for a custom implementation, letting WT send shared calendars through the same user, masking them as personal calendars in some way
this would be a trick.

I don’t really understand because you use the future, it is not yet available ( several calendars/addressbooks for one activesync account) but you are working for it ?

Future for receiving shared calendars (the ones received via share from another user).
Present for my personal calendars: they already work.

1 Like

Many Companys work with Outlook and won’t change. Outlook 2010 and older don’t support active sync, but with CalDav Synchronizer you can synchronize contacts and calendars if you have a caldav and carddav server.
I think this is a reason to support it.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for age to get caldav / carddav support added to webtop5 
 it is the easiest way for us to integrate our ERP calendars with SOGo now and hopefully webtop5 in the future.
We built a piece of software that using CalDAV libraries write ERP Tasks and Events to SOGo personal calendar.
We would like to port this feature on webtop5 since sogo has been removed from the enterprise version of nethserver.

I found a list of CalDav servers here:
http://devguide.calconnect.org/CalDAV/Server-Implementations

I don’t know if @webtop_team will change idea, but if we can document the calendar and contacts table format, any developer could try to implement a CalDav/CardDav interface to WebTop.

What do you think @paolo? Would you eventually try to implement it?

It’s a big job anyway 
 and will require full knowledge of the webtop database.
I can try to start something but can only do in my spare time (not much to tell the thruth).

That’s the same reason why it’s been taken out of the road map, at the moment.
Also, we discourage working directly on the database, that may eventually change in time.
We provide java server APIs for that.
And we have plans for REST APIs too.

Gabriele, do you mean that api’s are already available or you are planning to release it ?
When you plan to release REST APIs ?

Every WT5 service exposes public APIs to access/modify specific service content.
These are both Java and JavaScript APIs, accessible inside WebTop5 writing your own service to access them, be it serve side or client side.

The Core service exposes generic APIs (both client and server) to extend/implement your own service.
Documentation for this has not been redacted yet, but it’s not that impossible to start with an empty project we may provide of an empty template service to start with.

Gabriele

AFAIK it’s not so easy to build a CalDAV server (not a client) on webtop currently. But in the future, who knows?
You have to convince the @webtop_team that it’s worth it