How involve more developers?

Since I am more familiar with the ubuntu community than the CentOS community, I propose to more or less copy the method used by the ubuntu community. There are several teams, as are with NS. Each team has a certain amount of volunteers that are chosen by the community. There is a x-year mandate for each election and after that, the person can be a candidate again for re-election. The election is like a campain where the candidate must explain why he or she is the best person for the job. Then the community can decide.

For important jobs like managing the community money, there should be a abuse proof set of rules, so no individual member of the treasure comity can spend or take money. All money spent must be transparently documented.

Also legal issues must be met. Can someone be held personally responsible for income or spending community money? What about taxes to be paid? Or if people are getting money from the government because they are (temporarily) without a job, will being part of the treasurey team have impact on their personal income?

Maybe a set of (financial) skills must be met in order to apply for such a job in the community? Maybe this sounds overkill for now, but as soon the community gets bigger, like Fedora or Ubuntu communities, this can be a big responsibility.

To get started, I propose the community team (@alefattorini, @Jim, @vhinzsanchez and me) take this responsibility until all things that are needed are arranged and an election can be held. The main task for the community team in this will be to explore all the legal issues and the set of rules that are needed for a healthy and transparent treasury team.

Please comment on this. Any other ideas?

It looks to me a bit overkill for us, at least at the time. Only to me?

Regarding this Salt looks pretty easy to administrate, do you have any other suggestion?

I can do the job but Iā€™d like to surround myself by trusted and selected/elected people.

@stephdl with boutysource and donations we could address thess goals suggested by you:

• well known developer can be paid to develop a specific module for a company
  • a company can sponsor the cost involved to your creation (hardware, server, beers)
  • the developer may ask about donations to users, like remi collet does

What do you think to start to raising funds for it creating a bounty? Iā€™m interested in this. When you have raised enough money you can start to develop it, having your expenses covered.
Iā€™m very curious to hear your opinion.

Certainly that can be great.

@alefattorini

Bounty program for features it is amazing, but it has a lot of the pros and cons.

Frankly speaking, this program will stimulate our internal Dev team and it is one of the major pros, but as for involving newcomer developers it is very controversially.

As for paid features, we have already discussed this point on the forum or in Hangout with @Ctek and others, so bounty for this is appreciated.

As for involving new developers, first of all, we should spread our GitHUB page all over the world and developers should use our product by themselves, they should feel our product and only after that they will contribute.

Somth like that https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/pull/1288, or like our @Ctek, he feels that it is lack of backup module and he made it :slight_smile:

First of all, we should improve our Basic functionality like:
Mail (DKIM, transport maps, relay maps and so on), Fax - move to Avantfax or translate existed Fax2web, DNS/DHCP improvements, HTTPD service management.

Next step it is paid features (bounty), we should not put the priority on paid features than on basic functionality because we will drown.

Let me summarize:
We need a manager who will check dev team possibilities for paid features development (@alefattorini :slight_smile: ) , all paid features should be completely discussed.

We need a donate button in the community page, this donation will spread for community needs like prizes, t-shirts, and promotions.

This is my point of wiev.

2 Likes

Totally agree.
Else, will be an avalanche of modules/features which may have nothing to do with the basic functionality of NS (UTM, Mail, DC, AD - when Samba4 will be available) and those modules will must be paid (rewarded).

In my opinion, even extensions of basic core features can be part of a bounty.

From my own experience, it can be (really) hard to work on core featureā€¦You might lost a lot of valuable developer timeā€¦maybe bounties for specific modules could be more appropriate if you want to attract new developers.

2 Likes

Bounties can be for core and specific modules.
Adding a feature to core code can be a bounty that some developers will want to get and others no.

The developers can chose from the bounties available and get them if they want.
We can see how things evolve, after some time. I think is too early to tell what will work and what not.

3 Likes

I agree with both, give it a try and letā€™s see how things go

Perfect.
Should be a list with core packages/modules and with specific modules.
Of course, first should be defined the ā€œcore modulesā€ and the ā€œspecific modulesā€.

Agree.

Agree.

Iā€™m not programmer but Iā€™m sure youā€™re right.

IMO, if you donā€™t have good and stable core modules, that mean a good and stable NS, all specific modules are for nothing. Maybe just to be listed.

The developers should be attracted for specific modules or for fix and/or improve core modules? Which is the priority for NS?

Again, Iā€™m totally agree with Nas:

Could you please expand this item about DNS/DHCP?

Do you mean this:

Or:

I searched your posts in the forum, but I may have missed this.
Thanks.

Thanks guys for your contributions, so how can we make a test-phase with bountysource?
We can start with specific modules opening new issues on github for:

@davidep @giacomo any hint?

And opening a salt account for donations? This proposal sounds interesting:

A NON-dev team takes the responsibility of donations with a main goal: All money spent must be transparently documented.

You know, Iā€™m a GitHub lover but we are still testing it on v7 only, so there is a conflict between our aims.

I consider the bountysource affair a +1 for GitHub in the future :slight_smile:

But we can start creating issues for stuff like these which arenā€™t already on redmine:

And maybe will never be

1 Like

Looks like bountysource it wasnā€™t the right way to involve or support more developers neither the existing ones.
Am I wrong? I quote my friend @dz00te

Should we try different ways? What do you think to look for some different companies that want to pay developers to work also part-time on NethServer? Make sense?

3 Likes

mhhh sorryā€¦ i didnā€™t understand :cold_sweat:ā€¦ could you make an example?

I think we do need to head for another way. With bountysource or even paid community modules you end up with a ClearOS clone. I think we shouldnā€™t want that.

I propose a tutor or mentor program. But this needs a lot of effort from both mentor and junior developer. It also means a serious commitment from them, even though it is voluntary.

Besides that, I think a module would be a LOT more valuable if it is developed by someone who decided that functionality is an absolute must for the NethServer project instead of doing the code for the money.
Coding for money does not feel right to me. Not now anyway, in this stage of the project.

What we do need are volunteers that like to code and want to teach others the ropes. And again, start small and slowly aim higher. Recently we had a great example of starting small: Sambastatus: my first module for nethserver
This kind of initiatives make me REALLY HAPPY! :smiley:

6 Likes

Got your point and I like the idea, how can we make it sustainable? Any thoughts?

Times ago @filippo_carletti wrote a good guide on how to setup a NethServer Developer Environment

http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=developer:developer_howto&s[]=development

Thatā€™s another great example from NextCloud:

1 Like

A good actualized guide will certainly be welcome :grinning:

1 Like