How involve more developers?

Perfect.
Should be a list with core packages/modules and with specific modules.
Of course, first should be defined the “core modules” and the “specific modules”.

Agree.

Agree.

I’m not programmer but I’m sure you’re right.

IMO, if you don’t have good and stable core modules, that mean a good and stable NS, all specific modules are for nothing. Maybe just to be listed.

The developers should be attracted for specific modules or for fix and/or improve core modules? Which is the priority for NS?

Again, I’m totally agree with Nas:

Could you please expand this item about DNS/DHCP?

Do you mean this:

Or:

I searched your posts in the forum, but I may have missed this.
Thanks.

Thanks guys for your contributions, so how can we make a test-phase with bountysource?
We can start with specific modules opening new issues on github for:

@davidep @giacomo any hint?

And opening a salt account for donations? This proposal sounds interesting:

A NON-dev team takes the responsibility of donations with a main goal: All money spent must be transparently documented.

You know, I’m a GitHub lover but we are still testing it on v7 only, so there is a conflict between our aims.

I consider the bountysource affair a +1 for GitHub in the future :slight_smile:

But we can start creating issues for stuff like these which aren’t already on redmine:

And maybe will never be

1 Like

Looks like bountysource it wasn’t the right way to involve or support more developers neither the existing ones.
Am I wrong? I quote my friend @dz00te

Should we try different ways? What do you think to look for some different companies that want to pay developers to work also part-time on NethServer? Make sense?

3 Likes

mhhh sorry… i didn’t understand :cold_sweat:… could you make an example?

I think we do need to head for another way. With bountysource or even paid community modules you end up with a ClearOS clone. I think we shouldn’t want that.

I propose a tutor or mentor program. But this needs a lot of effort from both mentor and junior developer. It also means a serious commitment from them, even though it is voluntary.

Besides that, I think a module would be a LOT more valuable if it is developed by someone who decided that functionality is an absolute must for the NethServer project instead of doing the code for the money.
Coding for money does not feel right to me. Not now anyway, in this stage of the project.

What we do need are volunteers that like to code and want to teach others the ropes. And again, start small and slowly aim higher. Recently we had a great example of starting small: Sambastatus: my first module for nethserver
This kind of initiatives make me REALLY HAPPY! :smiley:

6 Likes

Got your point and I like the idea, how can we make it sustainable? Any thoughts?

Times ago @filippo_carletti wrote a good guide on how to setup a NethServer Developer Environment

http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=developer:developer_howto&s[]=development

That’s another great example from NextCloud:

1 Like

A good actualized guide will certainly be welcome :grinning:

1 Like

This is another successful example from @GG_jr @dnutan @dz00te for our community :gift:

3 Likes

This is a difficult one. It would be good to first identify who would like to enter this program.

On the ‘support side’ maybe a dedicated page/forum/… Could be created where tutors and volunteers meet and ask questions. Since this can and probably will be rather technical, a seperate section might be a good idea. Not to restrict access (as far as i am concerened it is open to anyone) but more to seperate the usual stuff from tbe really technicsl coding stuff.
I can be completely wrong here, but I am just following my gut feeling here.

There are some community coders that have shown their skills already. It would be great they stand up as tutors: @dz00te, @stephdl (all others, raise your hands!!)

There is absolutely a need for a good git(hub) guide to start with, since ns7 uses github as repository.
This github guide can be a good start.

As said, I am following my gut feeling here. I would really like to hear feedback on this. Add suggestions if you like.
I do find these developments in our community very exciting and hope this will be a major step towards maturity of the NetServer community.

clap clap for the guide @filippo_carletti, since a long time I didn’t read it.

@robb, the system you described is idealistic and must be the target to go, however the earth doesn’t turn in this direction.

Firstly because becoming a coder isn’t easy, and a lot of people won’t do it well, of course they are good elsewhere. If you are a coder, go to github, read the source code, all the answers to your questions are there. Trust me, a coder knows it without me :slight_smile:

The second question to solve is how to do it sustainably, how to create, to maintain, to solve bugs all the time with the smile.

Recently I stopped all the work because an idiot asked me badly to solve a bug. Of course it is my mistake, but what I give is on my free time, beside my work and family…and you know what, this guy is an Integrator…he earns money with my work :rage:

Hope not here! Otherwise let me know his name… he should feel my whip! :slight_smile:

@dz00te I guess that bountysource is failed because of this. As we say “ipse dixit”

3 Likes

One idea, surely too late for this year, however it could be bice for the next time.

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/

1 Like

Sure. I thought about it many times in the past, provide good mentors and submit the application programs isn’t so simple tough

But it absolutely could (and probably would) generate a HUGE boost in code for NethServer. Think of all those extra modules we could add… :heart_eyes:

GSOC could be a great accelerator for NethServer, sadly there are many things to do before submitting a project and much more during/after the development.
Right now, we don’t have enough resources to follow such project :frowning:

But if anyone want to mentor a student, we can try to arrange something.