Guacamole Package?

How does external site work when accessing nextcloud from outside using its FQDN? Does it just embed guacamole’s page inside nextcloud (meaning that page has to be directly reachable from the user, i.e. you still have to open tomcat port 8080 to the outside world to make it work) or does it work like a reverse proxy?

Also check this out, next release will add an http authentication header module which could be helpful when giving a user access to its desktops when that user has already been authenticated by a different service (nextcloud, authenticated reverse proxy, etc…)

@edi

Guacamole is working fine however there is a need to port forward 443
There is a way to avoid exposing the guacamole server to the public net.

I am launching a community request to develop 2 simple apps for nextcloud
one for freepbx webrtc and one for the guacamole.
@alefattorini could you please create a thread for that request ?

1 Like

I agree @ghost, guacamole really needs to be added to nethserver…where did your community request to develop your two apps go? I don’t see a continuation of this thread. I hope it’s not dead. :slight_smile:

@alefattorini, that bounty that you created…I’m guessing it’s still open? I’m not a developer so sadly I can’t create the package nethserver needs…but I’m more than willing to help with testing.

How close are we to having guacamole integrated into nethserver…or is it best to just use the excellent instructions from this thread (thanks @edi and @Adam!).

1 Like

@greavette I hear you well.
Unfortunately my request did not get the @alefattorini attention.
I am not a developer either, however I am willing to contribute!
Just upgraded to 0.9.12 ( credits to Chase Wright https://www.chasewright.com/guacamole-upgrade/ ) and looks even nicer very bright resolution with RDP. It will be a pity to let this nice jewellery out of Nethserver.
Back to you @alefattorini

1 Like

I’ll pull an @alefattorini and say…

C’mon team…let’s get this implemented into Nethserver!

But seriously…how close are we to having this module installed? From what I read there is an older version of the rpm from epel available? what if Nethserver added that older version to the Software Center and provide command line instructions on how to update it. At least that will allow people to use/try out Guacamole until such time Nethserver team decides if they want to create/maintain a more recent rpm version? Just a suggestion…

@greavette @alefattorini
2 Threads created

1 Like

I’m using Guacamole for a while now and I like this package. On my secondary school(where I work as system/network administrator) I use it to get some “working from home” environment. The only thing the employees must have is an html5 browser.
Now I’m working on a project with Guacamole. I want to create a solution for people who’s pc is crached and have to get back to work really soon. They can boot with pxe into a Linux environment that starts Chromium with a connection to a Guacamole server. Because it all runs from memory and not from harddisk, you can push an image to that harddisk. (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPbTfJk0GmQ)
So I think Guacamole is a very goor product and I think it’s really good to add it to nethserver.

3 Likes

Hi @FMFREAK,
Great to see you here in our forums. We can surely use your experience with Guacamole and make it an integrated module for NethServer.
Can you tell us a bit more about the technical details how you managed to get things done on your project?

1 Like

Hello,

I am not a developer hence I wish to call for developers in this community to help me out creating a module that can be integrated into nextcloud.

Below are few examples that already achieved what I am looking for

1. Rainloop email module
  2. XMPP module
  3. Spreed.me
    These modules call internal ip addresses without the need to forward ports on the main firewall
    they use proxy ngix

Our desired module is necessary in order to eliminate the need to type username and password.
No need to make it so complex and link it to the LDAP, you just look at rainloop how it functions and implement the same for the Guacamole Nextcloud module.

This is very practical module for tech support , for teleworkers and is an integral part of the collaboration suite.
Currently it is working with external link Guacamole Package?

1 Like

Just moved the post here, I agree. Guacamole is very interesting, anyone interested in creating a new package for that? What does it involve?
@FMFREAK

2 Likes

Has there been any updates on a Guacamole package for NS?
I tried the install instructions above for NS7, and could not get it to work on a test system.

@wbilger what seems to be your problem ?
I have guacamole running on 2 systems with over 30 remote worker/system. (20 simultaneous sessions)
We have RDP on windows 2008R2 accessible by remote users.
All working very fine.

1 Like

I’m going to attempt it again on a test system this week, but was more
hoping to hear if an official module might be in the works.

Hi @ghost,

That’s very interesting that you are running Guacamole on your Nethserver. Something I’ve been considering but wihout a proper module I’m planning on running my guacamole on a separate server and hopefully use Nethserver as a my reverse proxy and piping Guacamole into my Nextcloud. I found the following that will hopefully get me started.

https://kmyers.me/blog/tech/short-tutorial-nextcloud-guacamole/

Question for you…what happens to your Guacamole when you upgrade Nethserver? Does Nethserver and Guacamole upgrade cleanly or do you need to fix or resetup anything?

Thanks!

Have you tried following the howto from post 59?

If it doesn’t work, where does it fail?

From what I remember I did not have any failure in following the instructions, but did not get the Guac login screen at 8080.
I am going to attempt again on a test server.
I have 2 test servers, 1 uses LDAP for NS logins, which it looks like these instructions do, but on the 2nd one, it gets it’s users from an AD server, would it be possible to have Guac use those logins as well?

guacamole is in epel (el7 version) at the last version now

1 Like

I am able to get the login screen, but the credentials guacadmin:guacadmin do not work.

Thank you @stephdl for letting me know.

But until Nethserver adds a Guacamole module to it’s list of modules it supports I think I’ll continue with my plan to install Guacamole on a separate server and look at using reverse proxy from Nethserver to allow me to use my Nethserver ssl certificate to access my Guacamole server.

I’ll continue to follow this thread on guacamole being installed within Nethserver but I’m hesitant to install non-supported modules on my production Nethserver. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

guacamole added to my todo list…but really no eta

4 Likes