FOG Server Implementation?

Hello to everyone,
Has anyone implemented, or looked into implementing, a FOG server on NS7? If not, would it be possible to integrate it into NS?

3 Likes

You have other alternatives, why fog would be the best ?

I’ve had FOG running on clearos 6 before so it shouldn’t be difficult at all to deploy to NS7, been wanting to give that a try sometime to make HDD Golden Images for quick disaster recovery just haven’t had the time to try yet.

It would be good if it was an addon.

Having said that, having the ability to network boot Clonezilla (or a specified dstro located in an ISO image) from NS7 would also be a good feature to have.

Hi, personally I use clonezilla with tftpboot, and it work pretty well

Fog Basic Features:
Inventory Management
Web interface
PXE boot environment (DHCP, iPXE, TFTP, fast HTTP download of big boot files like kernel and initrd)
Imaging of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8/8.1, 10), Linux and Mac OS X
Remote imaging based off of MAC address
Supports multi-boot pcs
Partitions, full disk, multiple disks, resizable, raw
Snapins to install software and run jobs/scripts on the clients
Printer management: deploy printers from web interface
Change hostname and join domain
Track user access on computers, automatic log off and shutdown on idle timeouts
Anti-Virus of network pcs
Disk wiping
Restore deleted files
Bad blocks scan

Clonezilla Basic Features:
supported file systems GNU/Linux, MS windows, Intel-based Mac OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Minix, VMWare ESX and Chrome OS/Chromium OS, no matter it’s 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x86-64) OS.
Boot loader, including grub (version 1 and version 2) and syslinux, could be reinstalled.
Both MBR and GPT partition formats of hard drive are supported. Clonezilla live also can be booted on a BIOS or uEFI machine.
Unattended mode is supported. Almost all steps can be done via commands and options. You can also use a lot of boot parameters to customize your own imaging and cloning.
One image restoring to multiple local devices is supported.
Image could be encrypted. This is done with ecryptfs, a POSIX-compliant enterprise cryptographic stacked filesystem.
Multicast is supported in Clonezilla SE, which is suitable for massive clone. You can also remotely use it to save or restore a bunch of computers if PXE and Wake-on-LAN are supported in your clients.
The image file can be on local disk, ssh server, samba server, NFS server or WebDAV server.

Sources: https://wiki.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php?title=Introduction#Features ; http://clonezilla.org

Just trying to remain unbiased, both look to be excellent tools. Looking at the features of both and reading up on documentation on both of their websites it seems that clonezilla would be best suited for use in a work station type setup and that FOG would be better suited in an enterprise type environment complimenting the enterprise capabilities that Nethserver already offers.

1 Like

@stephdl,
I’ve played around with FOG, Clonezilla, and Macrium Reflect. Macrium was the most intuitive I believe for simply cloning hard drives. With Clonezilla and FOG I believe the features that each offer suite them for different functions best. In a work station or lab type environment where someone was needing to turn out a handful of pcs at a time for repairs, etc then I believe that Clonezila takes the lead. In an enterprise environment I believe the feature set of FOG takes the lead. Both are good products, each with their strong points.