Failed to get machine PTY: No such file or directory

You are testing the bug fix. If you think the package from nethserver-testing solves the problem you should add the verified label (and remove the testing label).

More info:
http://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/v7b/development_process.html#qa-team-member-testing

@alefattorini and @davidep thanks for explaining to a noob.
My weekend lecture will be github basics and the docs of your links.
Cheers. :beers:

3 Likes

hi @flatspin and welcome aboard
the link with the basic howto is for 6.x, i need to adapt to 7 (ok starting now) no more redmine account but github is required…
link to dev manual v7 (posted from davidep) is more updated
let me know how we can improve the basic howto for new members… tnx

2 Likes

o.k. will read it carefully and let you know.
thx for your welcome.

could you check/test :slight_smile: the HowTo adapted for GitHub? tnx

1 Like

@davidep

I had a few minutes so I started up the ns7b problem vm I had off for the last few days. I tried to delete a user and create a user, both actions failed with the machine pty msg in the logs. I applied your new nethserver-dc, I then successfully deleted a user I had attempted to delete before, I then rebooted the vm, I then successfully created a user, I rebooted the vm again and successfully deleted the new user, there are no longer machine pty messages in the log.

Sep 9 10:17:45 server7c esmith::event[2087]: Event: password-modify joe@ad.test.lab.local /tmp/ng-M56VeX Sep 9 10:17:45 server7c esmith::event[2087]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/password-modify/S25password-set SUCCESS [0.00585] Sep 9 10:17:45 server7c esmith::event[2087]: spawn /usr/bin/systemd-run -M nsdc -q -t /usr/bin/samba-tool user setpassword joe Sep 9 10:17:45 server7c esmith::event[2087]: New Password: Sep 9 10:17:46 server7c esmith::event[2087]: Changed password OK Sep 9 10:17:46 server7c esmith::event[2087]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/password-modify/S30nethserver-dc-password-set SUCCESS [1.123449] Sep 9 10:17:46 server7c esmith::event[2087]: Enabled user 'joe' Sep 9 10:17:46 server7c esmith::event[2087]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/password-modify/S40nethserver-dc-user-unlock SUCCESS [0.440965] Sep 9 10:17:46 server7c esmith::event[2087]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/password-modify/S90password-cleanup SUCCESS [0.145256] Sep 9 10:17:46 server7c esmith::event[2087]: Event: password-modify SUCCESS Sep 9 10:18:35 server7c esmith::event[2162]: Event: user-delete joe@ad.test.lab.local Sep 9 10:18:36 server7c esmith::event[2162]: Deleted user joe Sep 9 10:18:36 server7c esmith::event[2162]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/user-delete/S40nethserver-dc-user-delete SUCCESS [0.587061] Sep 9 10:18:36 server7c esmith::event[2162]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/user-delete/S90nethserver-sssd-clear-cache SUCCESS [0.269645] Sep 9 10:18:36 server7c esmith::event[2162]: Event: user-delete SUCCESS

6 Likes

Hi guys,
I just finished my tests.

How I tested:

• Install NS 7b2 from scratch (bare metal server).
  • Make all updates.
  • Edit the “Organizations contacts”.
  • Edit the “Self-signed certificate”.
  • Install the “Account provider: Samba Active Directory” package, from Software center.
  • Install the “fix” - (Note 1) - After that, I closed the ssh sessions (WinSCP and PuTTY).
  • Configure Samba AD - (Note 2) - done without issues!
  • admin-todo reminder on Dashboard for Administrator’s password: Change password for user administrator@test.abt.ro (first time, from “Nethesis,1234”) - done without issues!
  • user creation/modification/deletion - done without issues!
  • group creation/modification/deletion - done without issues!
  • user password policy change - done without issues!
  • domain password policy change - done without issues!

Note:

I tested in this way because:

1. I wanted to simulate the following situation: the “nethserver-dc.x86_64 0:1.0.2-1.ns7” package is “good” from the beginning;

2. I wanted to see if with this “good” package, the configuration of the Samba AD will end without issues (till now, every time when I have configured Samba AD, I have encountered an issue, like I described here: Experimenting with Samba Domain Controller)

4 Likes

@dz00te thanks for the HOWTO.
So far so clear with the general workflow. Only thing I couldn’t figure out is the template thing.
Maybe it’s a language problem. My bad english. :blush:
I looked at other issues, but they’re looking similar to #5013 . So template :thinking: ?

As a tester i have to wait until the dev has a new package for testing, and than test the new package again and so on until the bug is solved.

I like the article about the 14 ways to contribute. I learned exactly that way here in this community.
At this point I have to give a little praise to @alefattorini you’re doing a good job to get newcomers involved, like you involved me. Thanks for that my friend.

3 Likes

Did I mention that this package is installed?

• user creation/modification/deletion - no errors of creation/modifications/deletion. Checked using Windows 7 and no errors.

• group creation/modification/deletion - no errors on creation/modification/deletion

• user password policy change - Unchecked the “Strong passwords policy for users” and made a simple password - no errors. Checked with Windows 7 and no errors. Checked the “Strong password policy for users” and tried to make a simple password - error “Missing a upper case letter”.

• domain password policy change - There is not a Domain password policy page nor a Domain password policy line a page, only users and not domain. Using the Password Policy instead I unchecked the “Strong password policy for user” and made for a simple password - no errors. Checked with Windows 7 using the administrator and no errors. Checked the “Strong password policy for users” and tried to make a simple password - error “Missing a upper case letter”.

• admin-todo reminder on Dashboard for Administrator’s password - There was not a “Change administrator password” reminder on the Dashboard.

3 Likes

Hi Jeff,

This message will appear after you have configured Samba AD.
It’s an orange banner which will disappear after you will change the Administrator’s password for Samba AD.

It’s something like that from the attached print screen but for Samba AD Administrator account.

1 Like

Hi @JeffBales , can you please test this or did you test it:

add a user to a group and change the password expiration on/off several times.

I had the failure only when the user was added to a group.

I just want to be sure, that my system is not the only one with this issue, because it’s a vm and vm have their own behavior sometimes. :wink:

thx in advance.

Let’s circle back to the issue :blush: I think everybody here confirms the original problem is solved.

@flatspin could you label it “verified”? I’d like to release the fix today, before beta2 is officially announced! We’re currently waiting to release two important fixes for nethserver-dc 5099, 5103.

Of course you can keep on digging, probably we’ll find other bugs (hopefully not)!

2 Likes

just done.

3 Likes

Kudos to everyone who helped chasing and correcting the bug, also a big thank you to the quality team for the excellent work! :clap:

2 Likes

I seen that reminder in NethServer 6.8 to change the admin password but I have not seen that message in the NS 7 beta, before and after the bug fix.

Off-of-the-this-bug note: I’m using VM (vmplayer) and when am trying to making a new NS beta2 server to check again if the Dashboard gives a reminder to change the administrator password again I get this:

I did a “yum clean all” and I get the same error message. This has happened 4 or 5 times in the past, and I had start NethServer over again. And I briefly did a google “NethServer Clear yum cache” but have not find an answer. It seems to only happen when I installed NS 7 (b1 or b2) and shut if off, and come back to it later on to check to Software center.

I clicked on “Clean Yum Cache”, rebooted, shutdown, “yum clean all”, shutdown, rebooted. The same.

I had a similar problem and had to change epel repo to baseurl in yum.repos.d. Then the message was gone.
Try to do yum chek-update on commandline. Then you maybe can see what the error causes.

2 Likes

@JeffBales @flatspin @GG_jr @fasttech
Such a great list of tests guys! Thanks for your help, you’re making a great job here!

You really deserve a meme!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.