Error: The host name part length must be up to 15 characters long

NethServer Version: 7.3.1611

I am currently preparing to upgrade my NethServer 6.9 install to NethServer 7.3 (using the rsync route).

The FQDN of my current install is very long (I am using the FQDN my ISP is using for my IP-address to make sure the reverse DNS for my SMTP-server is correct).

The FQDN uses this format:

customer-123.456.789.123.domain.nl

When preparing the upgrade I have to use the same FQDN on both the old and the new server.

When applying the FQDN on the new server I get this error:

Fully qualified domain name
The host name part length must be up to 15 characters long

I have not tried the upgrade using a different fqdn yet (from the documentation I get the impression that doesn’t work anyway), how should I proceed?

Regards,

Jaap

Followup:

Used hostnamectl in console to set the correct hostname.

Seems to work now, will try the rsync upgrade today

1 Like

IIRC the upgrade/restore procedure applies the fqdn from backup as-is. However if you restore with duplicity the host name is used as a key to access the backup set. No problems with rsync method (hopefully).

If the hostname part is more than 15 chars, only NetBIOS name appears truncated. However for new installations a validator limit is set to avoid inconsistency.

BTW could you set a shorter and more friendly CNAME in DNS?

BTW could you set a shorter and more friendly CNAME in DNS?

I did, but why?

1 Like

Right, cname could not match SMTP policies.

Does the ISP provide a SMTP smarthost service?

Sorry for being off-topic, only I’d like to understand if there are alternatives to the ISP host name when configuring a mail server.

Does the ISP provide a SMTP smarthost service?

Yes, they do

1 Like