Download and delete the logfiles

Because Nethserver is for non linux professionals too, it could be a good idea to have the chance to download and delete the logfiles over the webinterface like in windows.
It would be nice too, if the log shows not the linux time but the “real Time” (MM.DD.YYYY and H:M)

2 Likes

Also would be nice if there where some sort of archiving of old log files (it maybe an interesting idea and would help out future bug tracking issues to have a function that is able to submit log files to a NS owned web based help desk / ticketing system).

1 Like

linux and NS has always had a log rotation policy, so deleting logs is useless and dangerous…
one big difference between linux and windows is that in the first case logs are real and are… let me say… log files, while in windows you don’t have anything similar.

that said, there’s no need to delete logs… and if it is a feature available on windows, it’s quite surely a bad designed one or, likely, a bug. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the above quote, am going to paraphrase and use it as my signature to be used within certain (pro-Microsoft) related forums :wink:

1 Like

You’re right it’s dangerous to delete them, because of this I want to safe them before. It could be an automatism, saving and deleting.
Sometimes I want to have an empty logfile to test something and reproducing errors. You have a better overview with an emty log file. For example the squid access, it’s a very big file after some workhours.

then you’re using the wrong approach… CLI has all the tools you need… you can use tailf, grep and so on to check all your log files in real time without the need to delete them… use them, open as many shells as you need.

since you’re explicitly referring to debug, CLI is the only place and there, I repeat, you’ve all the tools you may ever need…
deleting a log file to debug an issue is like using a screwdriver to make holes… it’ll work, but it’s not the right tool

as always, my 2€c

3 Likes

Thanks for your answer, I’ll try it at this way.
I grew up with windows and I’m still a “linux-student”, please excuse me. I know this commands but they don’t become second nature of me till know.

you are welcome… google is there -->
you’ll find tons of log parsing tricks :wink: