Custom partitioning in NethServer 7

Voortzetting van de discussie Installer bugs on release 7.3.1611 rc3:

When installing NS7RC3 on Virtualbox I encounter some inconsistencies with custom partitioning the disks.
I am installing using 3 VDI’s of 15 GB.
1 VDI for / , /boot and swap
2 for /var/lib/nethserver in raid1

Maybe I am doing something that should be done in an other way, but each time I try to add the /var/lib/nethserver mountpoint, the installer complains that there is not enough free space, because I used up all space of sda (the first VDI).
In order to go around this problem I have to shrink one of the mountpoints so initially /var/lib/nethserver can be created on the first VDI. Then I have to change /var/lib/nethserver to raid1 using VDI-2 and VDI-3. And finally expand the mountpoint I shrinked to it’s previous size again.

Am I doing something wrong during partitioning? Should I use another procedure?

Anaconda is quite cryptic in the disk configuration part: I always need the documentation to do some advanced partitioning schema.

My suggestion: install using only the first disk, then manually create and add the raid 1 when once the system is started.

If I do the workaround it works perfectly. I think I will stick with creating the raid1 volume when there is still some space available on the first disk, making it possible to create the mountpoint, and then assign the proper volume to the mountpoint and adapt the sizes of all the mountpoints when all mountpoints are created.

Ideally it would be best without having to recheck the values.

1 Like

This topic raises an issue that has confounded me for some time.

Why is there no support for multiple hdds, multiple partitions or other secondary storage devices within the NS GUI or when initially configuring NS based servers?

1 Like

Because handling raid and hard disks is very hard, and create a simple web interface is even harder :wink:

1 Like

I wrote my first howto, maybe it can help you! @robb

Please, feel free to correct it!

2 Likes

The link to @giacomo’s guide:
How to manually configure a RAID1

2 Likes