Create AD subdirectores and permissions in web interface

This may be a tricky one but it was mentioned a number of times to me so I’m mentioning it here. Admins (without detailed Samba knowledge) would like to be able to create subdirectores and create permissions on those subdirectories. Using the web interface to create a “base” directory we had assumed the MS windows interface would allow a domain admin to create subdirectories and set permissions using the MS windows OS interface. Directories can be created but permissions cannot be saved or changed using the MS windows (Windows 7 in in this case). even when it 's joined to the domain. As long as there is a non configuration file method the managers will be happy. For now we’ve created a lot of root directories but it feels counter intuitive to people used to Google drive (for example). any idea on how complex it would be to allow subdirectory creations and/or permission editing on subdirectories?

1 Like

@davidep do you have some thoughts ?

1 Like

Good morning to all the post and very interesting would be convenient if you could have a chance to create folders and sub-folders with permissions that only by those who deeply knows samba can use

I think this request, if it is possible to implement, will be a great feature for NS, as you said, especially compared to other distributions.

I think that who manage a complex system as NS, who knows what is AD, can deploy AD and wants to use the AD, in this case shared folders, sure will want and will be able to use such a feature.
More of that, I think those who use NS, have enough knowledge of IT system administration, even if NS is used at home.
Why I said that?
I saw that many of the home users, use NS in fairly complex configurations.
Cannot deploy NS as Gateway, Proxy, Mail Server, File Server, media streaming, Web Server, VM, …, without basic IT knowledge.

In my admin times I always disliked the share level permissions. In fact, I always set those to authenticated users full control. Permissions I set at filesystem level. This way I always exactly knew what the resulting permissions would be: the FS permission was always the final permission. When you start adding share permissions, you can end up with unexpected or unwanted permission results.
Back then, when I was a sysadmin on windows based networks, that was considered a best practice. Is that still the case or is the reasoning obsolete now?

This has been discussed and summarized here:

Too complex!

Why not managing all these subfolders using the windows file manager as domain admins?
Why a webinterface?