[SOLVED] CentOS 7.4 (1708) - Shared folder access

Hi guys!

Do you remember this topic?

Cherry pick updates in Software Center

I think it’s time to review the subject. Don’t you ?
At least for the next version of NS.

2 Likes

Exactly. The main issue for now is samba.
If you don’t use samba, almost everything should work (but @dnutan experienced other problems which I couldn’t be able to reproduce right now).

No. Try to use instructions from upstream issue, but it didn’t worked for me.

No, at least not in the public bug tracker.

Working on it using cockpit ;), but it’s irrelevant right now because it would be very hard for a user to choose the right packages to be updated among 200-300 choices.

1 Like

Moved the shared folders to our nas, other services seem to work properly still. If and when the upstream issues are fixed, will i be able to recover from this by regular update?

You’re right about that!

This is not happen often (200-300 packages). This is an exception.
Usually, I think there are around 20 package.

Glad to hear that!

1 Like

I guess yes, but it depends entirely from upstream.

A post was split to a new topic: Nextcloud error after upgrade to CentOS 7.4

Shit, i have run the update from habit!

Can you reverse it after conclusion?

or until when can you expect an official correction or adaptation to the current 7.4 version?

After update runs up to Cups and nextcloud as far as everything.

SAMBA i.O with restrictions
eMail i.O

to the rest I can do without at least one to two weeks …

greetings
Gerald

See my previous posts.

Won’t installing any modules from the gui also install all of 7.4?

What happens now, when a newbie downloads and installs Nethserver for the first time, runs updates, and installs Domain and file server?

Hi @fasttech ,

This is the happiest scenario! Everything will goes wrong before the NS will be in production! So, will be only a delay solved with a new installation.

The worst is for someone who made the updates for a NS already in production!

I hope that the most of the NS users have read about problems before making the updates.

At least that would allow us to update just the NS packages. Or could the dependencies of doing that lead down a rabbit hole.

Cheers.

1 Like

Aie…
I did an update this afternoon! :no_mouth:

Hi @giacomo and team,

I need to have this clarified. I don’t issue yum updates very often from the command line for my nethserver…but I do regularly update nethserver from the software center. Would upgrading today from the software center cause all these issues you’ve identified. Or all all these issues only for those who drop to the command line and issue yum update on their CentOS server?

Thanks!

Hi Charles, you would also have the issues when updating from software center.

3 Likes

Some others may be luckier than us but this may work for them
yum history
Note the number of the 7.4 update then
yum history undo [the noted number]
We were to far in for it to work for us.
Also if your system has read only messages in dmesg go back to the previous kernel.
We have moved data out but just down to logins failing. Other domain operations OK like adding and removing machines. Suspect it is encryption methods of the username password.
Has anyone attempted remove and rebuild the AD? Would it work?

The only verified problem right now is samba authentication, everything else should work fine.

Users wan’t be able to access authenticated shared folders.
I tried to compile a patched version off sssd but it didn’t work (Samba complained about missing symbols).
We don’t have a solution right now since we rely on upstream.

Don’t panic! :smiley: If you don’t use Samba authenticated access, you’re issue free.

Anyone upgrading samba and sssd packaged will be affected.

I just upgraded the first post, to explain better every issue and propose workarounds.

Could we change the topic of this thread to:

CentOS 7.4 - Do NOT upgrade if using samba shared folders?

Never make big changes on Friday, especially in my company where it works 24/7. it could become a nightmare!
I’m learning it at my expense and @davidep, that must give me support on Sunday.
Fortunately I saw the mega update list and came to check on the forum

3 Likes

Just to confirm, if we are using Active Directory as the local accounts provider in combination with Shared Folders, we should not upgrade?

If this is the case, would definitely recommend changing the topic name.

I always “make big changes on Friday”!
If something goes wrong, it’s plenty of time to fix everything till Monday! :grin: