Can I run NethServer in virtual enviroment?

Noticed an error in Step 14. Is corrected in my earlier post.

@alefattorini, @jaapvdv, I’ve uploaded the images to the wiki. Feel free to add any information you think is missing (vmware tools…)

Instructions on installing Open VM Tools are added.

2 Likes

Added Hyper-V-Howto to the Wiki:
http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=howto:install_nethserver_on_hyper-v

5 Likes

Awesome! how did you do that?
Added additional information!

Hi all!
We have 4 NS running on KVM (Proxmox 4.2 and 3.2). Good performance!
If you need any help, just ask. It’s simple, and works very good!

Having a good installation guide for proxmox would be awesome! :slight_smile:

p.s. Rafael great to see you back!

Ok, I’ll do it as soon as possible!

1 Like

On Proxmox (3.4) interface, you create the new VM, and start the process.

1. Select the node (only if you have a cluster), the VM ID (unique), and its name.
  2. Operating system: Linux 3.x and above:
  3. Source instalation. You can use a prhysical media (CD/DVD), or an ISO. If you use an ISO file, it must exists in the storage of the server.
  4. Create a hard disk, according to your needs.
  5. CPU: select sockets (only if you have more than one physical proccesor) and number of cores
  6. Memory: fixed or dynamic asignation:
  7. Network: you can create the primary interface.
  8. Preview (just check before confirm the new VM):

After a few seconds, the new VM will be created. Yo can start it, and with the VNC (integrated on Proxmox) start the installation process.

Some Notes:
a) we use virtio drivers for NIC and hard disk, they work good.
b) You can add disks and networks interfaces on any time, hotplug or not, according to your needs.
c) The process on Proxmox 4.x is very similar.

Well… if any of you need any help, just ask!

Cheers

Asrix

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Move notes from community to wiki

@Asrix, your proxmox installation guide has been added to the wiki.
Feel free to add any other information you think can be useful.

1 Like

Hi, I have a question regarding this. So you want to set Nethserver under proxmox. Because Proxmox is booted before Nethserver, it can’t get an IP assigned to it. So I presume you have to assign an IP to Proxmox (static IP) for your network to see it? I’m trying to see how this would work and what some of you did.

@tessierp

Hi Patrick

Proxmox needs a static IP assigned. I always use IPs 61, 62 etc (If I have more than one Proxmox).
DHCP is done either by my OPNsense Firewall or the NethServer. These can be in Proxmox, no issues.
Proxmox needs a reboot maybe once a year due to updates, noot more.
Even if I’m accessing the Network via VPN, and the Router/Firewall is in Proxmox, I can access it again in 3-5 Minutes using VPN -when I need to reboot Proxmox.

My 2 cents
Andy

Hey Andy, thanks for the reply. So lets say Nethserver is my DHCP server and it is running under Proxmox. I have a class C network using 192.168.20.x. I assign Proxmox some IP, lets say 192.168.20.61 (and also reserving it in Nethserver) then I should be able to see it on the network no problem if I understood correctly?

@tessierp

Hi Patrick

Yes, that’s right.

See the first sketch here:
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=userguide:nethserver_and_proxmox

I did not draw in any PCs, Notebooks or Tablets in this sketch, but essentially, that’s how my home Network looks like…

NethServer, running in Proxmox, does AD, Files, Mail, NextCloud, Zabbix, etc.
DHCP and DNS are handled by OPNsense, the Nethserver is second DNS with all local devises entered in both.

It also works if NethServer is your Firewall and running in Proxmox, or you use OPNsense in Proxmox as your Firewall.

BTW: That very Network you have, 192.168.20.x/24, is also used by a client of mine, a Doctor.
They have two Proxmox running, DHCP and DNS is done by NethServer, running in Proxmox.
Both Proxmox are running in a fast migration Cluster, one is actually the old VMWare ESXi server, reinstalled with Proxmox, and the main, new HP server.

1 Like

That is very good to know. I’m still debating if to build a 2U Server Chassis with a 3700X with Proxmox, Nethserver and 1 or 2 VMS or just run Nethserver with a 3300X. I’m considering my options but for sure if I put a higher end CPU on that machine, I don’t want to just waste the power (that is a 3700X is way too much muscles for Nethserver)

@tessierp

If you have a PC with 6-8 GB RAM & a 500 GB harddisk or SSD, try building a test Proxmox to test / gain experience / estimate requirements… This can already run a complete home network!

The Instal of proxmox takes around 20-30 mins, NethServer an additional 30. Add in an hour for copying ISO Images and stuff to the right places, and you’re ready to go. The installed VMs can be migrated later to your newer hardware, if all goes as you expected…

That is the problem, I need to get the hardware so I can’t test otherwise I would have done it. So I have go by what people’s experience, advices and documentation.

Thinking and planning things through is always a good premise…

But one can always overdo things:

5 years ago, a good friend of mine, an american married to a swiss, working at a major swiss bank as programmer started “evaluating” buying a notebook.

This took over 9 months!

He finally came to his senses when I told the time he spent evaluating, not counting my time for the plenty of advise asked, amounted - at his pay scale - to well over twenty grand! (Enough to buy 5 Notebooks of the top end type!). And he still hadn’t got a newer notebook!

He bought a Macbook the next day!

:slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Proxmox will run on any standard box. If you are unsure, just pick up a cheap server that is obsolete from a datacenter. I see you’re from Canada. Just as an example: http://www.deltaserverstore.com/dell-1950.html
You could even install proxmox on an old desktop. Make sure it has at least 4GB RAM and you are good to go for some basic testing. I did this in order to migrate from a default KVM server to proxmox and re-use the old KVM server.
Then install Proxmox on that server (or old desktop). It is as easy as installing any distribution. Proxmox base is Debian, so it shouldn’t be that unfamiliar to install. And there is a nice graphical installer to guide you. Also the proxmox installation instruction is quite extensive.
BTW, my strong suggestion would be to go for a Virtualization layer and not to install (any Server OS) NethServer directly on the server. It gives so much more flexibility. I am sure, once you have used this for a while, you will never go back to bare metal installs of an OS.

/edit: extra info on requirements for proxmox: System Requirements - Proxmox VE

Minimum Requirements, for Evaluation
These minimum requirements are for evaluation purposes only and should not be used in production.
CPU: 64bit (Intel EMT64 or AMD64)
Intel VT/AMD-V capable CPU/Mainboard for KVM full virtualization support
RAM: 1 GB RAM, plus additional RAM used for guests
Hard drive
One NIC

This means you can in fact install on an old desktop to evaluate.

1 Like