Can I mount ibay folder on a RAID 1 partition?

After a little searching, I was able to find the location for SMB shared folders. Nestled in /var/lib/nethserver is a folder that is called ibay, this directory is the place that you shared folders are created and stay. I have no idea why, but that is where they end up. I also found that home / profiles / netlogon / print_driver / and ibay (shared SMB folders) are all in the /var/lib/nethserver directory.

My interest is to mount ibay as it’s own mounted location. I have a full 1TB Raid 1 partition that I would like to setup as the ibay mount and allow the created shared samba folders to reside.

So should I be able to mount ibay folder

mount /dev/md3   /var/lib/nethserver/ibay  

and should my fstab reflect the following?

UUID=0233de1c:1a70a162:b5d5095a:f315bb06      /dev/md3      /var/lib/nethserver/ibay   ext4   defaults,acl,auto  1 1

If not please let me know what would be the best method to make the 1TB RAID 1 partition set as ibay mount point.

Thanks for your help,

-SF-

I have had the same issue, the way I am managing this is by using symbolic links and mounting the partition to /media, but in theory your solution should work, only difference is that I don’t like using UUIDs and would specify the partition ID instead (eg sdb1).

Medworthy thanks for chiming in… much appreciated.

So would you suggest me putting the following?

/dev/md3 /data ext4 defaults 0 0

or

/dev/md3 /data ext4 defaults,acl,auto 1 1

and for symbolic linking would that mean that I create a Shared Folder and then change that in ibay folder, I create a symbolic link as the folder that will point to /data? or am I not thinking of this correctly?

Thanks,

-SF-

I’ve not a personal experience on what you’re suggesting, anyway it sounds good.

Please have a look at this thread too

Would it be possible to move /var/lib/nethserver content to me /data directory and symboliclink /var/lib/nethserver to /data???

Process I am thinking about doing –

# cp -p -r /var/lib/nethserver /data

Move the original /var/lib/nethserver directory to a safe place:

# mv /var/lib/nethserver  /root/

Create the symlink:

# ln -s /data/nethserver /var/lib/nethserver

Does this stand any chance of working? Let me know.

Thanks,

-SF-

I think the symlink is not necessary if the volume is mounted in the right point.

As suggested from the link above, I’d consider a separate /var volume (not only /var/lib/nethserver).

Link also causes permissions problems; my experience anyways. What I did was use mounts bind option in fstab so there was no linking of files, the original data structure still exists but points to a separate folder on a RAID 5 configuration.

/mnt/md124/music        /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/music  auto    bind,gid=46,defaults    0 0

If you modify fstab, be sure to check the documentation about keeping the changes, they are lost on subsequent reboots if you don’t.

3 Likes

Where did you find the documentation? Could you give us the link to it, to share your experience?

Development Manual
Administrator Manual

The fstab piece I mentioned is in the Development manual under Filesystems Options

3 Likes

Interesting discussion! @Shadowfire please keep us in touch about your accomplishments

I went ahead and tried the symboliclink /var/lib/nethserver to /data and placing the /dev/md3 /data ext4 defaults,acl,auto 1 1 in fstab.

So far it is working fine. I have not had issues with permissions problems. But it hasn’t been running very long. If it ends up being a problem and I start seeing permission problems or other issues I will let you know.

Thanks Lsllpfd19 for posting an alternative, if I should need a backup plan I will move that direction.

Thanks everyone for chiming in to help.

-SF-

2 Likes

Could you please add more details about this configuration?

Here is my fstab:

/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root    /       ext4    defaults,acl,user_xattr 1 1 
UUID=be911fd2-35fd-4949-8f56-91a6a0dde5fb       /boot   ext3    defaults        1 2 
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_swap    swap    swap    defaults        0 0 
tmpfs   /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0 0 
devpts  /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0 
sysfs   /sys    sysfs   defaults        0 0 
proc    /proc   proc    defaults        0 0 
/dev/md3        /data   ext4    defaults,acl,auto 1 1 

Not sure what other info you would like. Please specify and I will make it happen if I can.

Thanks,
-SF-

A post was split to a new topic: Adding fstab mappings to core directories