Bandwidthd for NethServer 7

NethServer comes with ntopng, but has some limitations: only few hours of history are available, large amounts of disk space are allocated.

During the past days I did some experiments with pmacct but I couldn’t find a suitable UI.

Bandwidthd is an old network monitoring tool, which is no longer maintained and has recently exited the Fedora/EPEL project, too! But it’s widely adopted among my customers on legacy appliances.

I compiled a brand new version of bandwidthd with SQLite support, to overcome its memory usage limitations.

Source code and patches are available from:

A new RPM from @giacomo is available from nethserver-testing:
http://packages.nethesis.it/nethserver/7.2.1511/testing/x86_64/Packages/bandwidthd-2.0.1-33.13.g21a0032.ns7.x86_64.rpm

5 Likes

Just download and “yum install …”?
Of course without Ntop installed.

1 Like

Then

1. systemctl enable bandwidthd
  2. systemctl start bandwidthd
  3. have a coffee :coffee:
  4. SSH-forward port 80 to your localhost:8080,
    then point your browser to http://localhost:8080/bandwidthd

I think they could run together

3 Likes

You can try now the fully-integrated package:

yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing install nethserver-bandwidthd

Bandwidthd and Ntop can run together, but be aware of the higher CPU load!.

2 Likes

It works!

With little issues:

• when you want to open from Applications, the new window is with the Dashboard.
  • the icons for “Send” and for “Receive”?

EDIT:

I got it!
The “icons” should be graphics! Probably will appear later.

2 Likes

What a beta tester :open_mouth: ! Thanks and … fixed!
Try updating the packages

yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing clean all
yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing update nethserver-bandwidthd

Yes, php-gd dependency was missing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Done!

EDIT:

Next step: Available in Software center?

6 Likes

Packages are ready for testing:

2 Likes

I’d love to hear what these guys think: @Dan_Kennedy @clinton @Lewis @jackyes @todd_firkins @Nas @medworthy @thiagotw @Hunv @jgjimenezs @jfranco

1 Like

That looks AWESOME!
For every administrator it is so helpful!
Very good!

3 Likes

I have to confess, i run a few pfsense boxes and they did away with ntop a whileback for the same reason. I really prefer bandwidthd.

I give it a fill 100 out of 10.

Regards clint

1 Like

I’m used to ntopng for reports with its nice graphical interface, i just print and send to the directors, but i agreed its miss a long time info, thats why i use with pfsense internal monitor was a plus

1 Like

Is there any option to have this in 6.8?

1 Like

@alefattorini @GG_jr @giacomo @davidep From what I have seen and read this seems to be what I have been looking for since I started using Nethserver and joined the group. I am still running NS 6.8, scared of upgrading to 7 on a live and working system. Will the above work on 6.8?

Hi Lewis,

AFAIK, it’s only for NS7.
I don’t know if will be available also for NS6.8.

BR,
Gabriel

On my side there are no plans of backporting the nethserver-bandwidthd integration from ns7 at the moment.

However, I built successfully the bandwidthd RPM for ns6. I think you could do the same and upload the RPM to NethForge 6. Once installed, the configuration is simple and can be achieved manually on any CentOS system.

1 Like

I have been through a few of the ntopng and Bandwidthd discussion threads on the forum.

I apologize upfront, for posting to such an old thread, however, it seems to be the most relevant one for my question.

We had neglected to update our NethServer 7 installation for over 6 months. Once this oversight was discovered, all available updates were immediately applied via Software Center’s Updates tab. However, once the installation completed, we found that Bandwidthd disappeared! :open_mouth:

It is no longer listed in the Installed tab, nor is it listed in the Available tab.

Running yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing install nethserver-bandwidthd fails.

Has this module been discontinued?

You are right. From the release notes:

Major changes on 2017-10-26
Ntopng 3 replaces Bandwidthd, the Server Manager has a new “top talkers” page which tracks hosts network usage

Though code is available on github.

Edit: The manual still holds some reference to BandwidthD.

1 Like

I used the big hammer:

1 Like

Thank you, @dnutan, for the clarification!

@filippo_carletti, :smiley: