Backuppc Installation HowTo

Great job @AbsyntH !
I want to try it asap.

Just a question on the fly: why I should prefer Backuppc to NethServer Backup module?

Thank you for contributing.

Take a look at this discussion: New module for centralized backup
The goal is to backup other systems ON NethServer and not NethServer itself

@sitz here i’ve only set up backuppc server, in a few days i’ll write an “upgrade” of this howto for done the backup of windows clients

2 Likes

This sounds very very interesting @AbsyntH and now I can show the scenario into my head.
Thank you.

i’m also looking at http://fogproject.org/ for bare metal restore of windows clients…stay tuned

Wow wow wow!!!
It you need someone to test just let me know.

do backuppc works with window servers?

@AbsyntH looking forward the windows client part! And windows server too

added windows client configuration ( basic steps, if you want also advanced configuration settings…read the backuppc manual )

1 Like

Oh man that’s a great howto now :wink:
I gonna try this last part asap

Michele…what about to do in the backuppc module a web page to redirect to the cygwin download and provide configuration files to backup window clients

Take a look to this howto http://www.clearcenter.com/support/documentation/user_guide/backuppc

1 Like

@stephdl i’ll give a look in the afternoon :wink:

@stephdl give the download link it’s a good idea, but i don’t know if i want to give prebuilt configuration file for the client…too many variables that have to match , if we can not give something that is completely GUI based for client i prefer leave it configurable by users

Not sure it is destined to user usage, it is something to help the sysadmin, keep in mind that you need to give a password with user-name, it could be quickly a sensitive issue. Since My worse enemy is called Microsoft, I have not much time to give to the backup template of windows clients and some helps could be useful to save my time and test the backup settings(w8,w7,XP).

I have planned to offer a strong password with the IP of server in the template, and of course for security purpose, you should change it, or not.

so if the template is for sysadmin i think that the best way is to give a configuration file fully and in detail commented ( with best practices for pst / Exchange / shadow copy etc )

1 Like

I like it, it might be a helpful and a valuable contribution!

1 Like

Then michele it is needed help of windows sysadmin who can provide their configuration files… I can’t be helpful here.

But I agree with you

I moved 3 posts to a new topic: Password problem with BackupPC

I moved 9 posts to an existing topic: Password problem with BackupPC

I moved 2 posts to an existing topic: Password problem with BackupPC