Backup Config Module - Beta - Final stage

It’s a great enhancement, please let Davide know your thoughts :slight_smile:
@davidep has just shown us in Nethesis the new panel getting some interesting feedback. Davide can you share that here too?

Yes of course :smile:

This afternoon I added some improvements: you can now check it out from nethserver-testing repo! /cc @GG_jr, @Ctek, @quality_team

yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing update nethserver-backup-config nethserver-lib

4 Likes

Just installed!

First tests, without restore.

Nice! Congrats!

I will try ASAP on a VM to restore backup during installation.

3 Likes

Great work Davide!!! It looks great.
Regarding your question. Yes i meant at anaconda time. Just so all the required packages to be installed.

BR
Bogdan

wow… cool! quick and dirt restore of a NS7 used for test, and it seems all ok. ive only a small problem with back button inside “configure” and “upload”: i must click it twice but probably it’s my problem…
tomorrow i wil look deeper in the logs
great work! :raised_hands::clap:

3 Likes

It’s a bug in the framework, I know @davidep is already chasing it.

So you have made the entire restore and the original modules list optional, with a checkbox. Right?
@Ctek and @dz00te thanks for already jumping into the test phase :smiley:

ok thank you for info…

@davidep another test, all ok for me…
i know that now there is fantastic button to download backup config, but what do you think to add in the Backup configuration tab a check button like: copy latest backup config in the same destination folder of backup-data?
so we can have an automatic external backup of data and configuration…
and yes, i know i’m really lazy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that already happens when backup-data runs! I expect also the entire history is included in backup-data.

My plans for the future are merge the “Backup (data) and Backup (configuration)” pages together and allow restore of data from the UI, too. But this is another discussion…

2 Likes

yes, is inside the backup, but i think it could be useful to have the backup-config.tar.xz visible directly on the backup folder, as single file. So if i need to restore a ns7 i could
1 install ns7
2 restore config (taken from my folder on nas or webdav)
3 restore full or part of data (the configuration settings was restored in point 2)
or
i could also simply take the config backup from nas to create a clone of installed ns7

and yes i can also use the download button and store locally the backups :slight_smile:
in any case it will be really useful when creating testing VM, tnx

i like this plan :grin:

It already works like that in the current version! I was talking about it with @giacomo this morning :smile:

If backup-config.tar.xz does not exist in /var/lib/nethserver/backup/ dir, the restore-config command attempts to extract it from the backup-data.

You need to configure the backup-data destination, though…

We could allow this operation from UI: kinda “restore configuration from backup data set”
We could add an action to “post-backup-data” event that copies the configuration backup to the mounted backup device.

Edit: @dz00te, do you think the full history would be useful (/var/lib/nethserver/backup/history/ directory and its contents)? Or the current archive only is enough (/var/lib/nethserver/backup/backup-config.tar.xz file)?

2 Likes

@davidep did you code the netgui upload plugin that you promised me :wink:

I just installed it it looks nice

2 Likes

yes but as i said i’m a litlle bit lazy :grin:

yessss!! great :slight_smile:

for my use case i think the current archive is enough, but honestly i don’t know if there are other scenarios where history might be useful… if someone else is interested, it’s time to talk :slight_smile:

1 Like

I definitely agree! Furthermore, the history/ subdir still can be restored from data-backup by “Restore files” page or restore-file command.

Edit: https://github.com/NethServer/nethserver-backup-config/pull/18

2 Likes

Just reinstalled my scapegoat. Need a foolish tester for this beta module?

1 Like

We always need the most foolish ones! :smiley:

Be kind, put a little more… focus about install. I had to search throught the topic …

yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing update nethserver-backup-config nethserver-lib

Little feature request: can a description be edited after the end of the backup?
Also: config let choose how many sets you want to retain, but not timing…

What do you think if I split this discussion? So I can move it into the testing category, close the old one and avoid people to read through several posts.

1 Like

I wouldn’t implement a double condition, too complex!

If I set a rule like “clean up configuration backups older than T”, it can conflict with “keep up to N configuration backups”. If N is big enough, it is surely a super-set of T.

Not at the moment, sorry.

The information is stored in a .json file under

/var/lib/nethserver/backup/history/
2 Likes

I agree with Davide.
Adding a time based removal will not be good.
Let’s say that you set yor removal limit to be 6 months.
What will happen if you do not check the server in 7 ?

I think that number of backups to be saved in history is the best approach.

The one feature that i wanted to add but did not complete it, was to be able to send the backup over email.

That is a nice feature to have in my opinion :blush:

1 Like