Backup Config Module - Beta - Final stage

Update: RC2 - 12/10/15

Hi guys,
Another update.

Please test and give feedback on this.

Note the /etc/e-smith/backup-config-rotate must be added to the sudoers!

Still to do:

• add field in UI for user defined number of backups (current value is set to 15)
  • add routine/scripts to read/set/update the value of user defined Nr of backups to keep.

Best regards
Bogdan

2 Likes

Look really interesting, Iā€™ll test it out really soon!

Update: RC2.1 - 24/10/15

Hi,
The missing feature was added to the Backup Config
Now the number of backups can be defined by the user into the UI
Please write your feedback here if you have tested the module and you encounter errors.

With this modification the module is finished and all the features were added.

Best regards
Bogdan

5 Likes

Any update on the development of the backup config module? I canā€™t wait to see this be a part of a nethserver standard release.

Hi Adam,
Well, the module is functional, the code is on Git. The only thing is that I did not build a rpm :blush:.
Maybe also the way the download files are handled is not optimal.
Iā€™m still looking for better options but did not find anyā€¦

But if you want to use the module you can overwrite the files from NS with the ones in the Git and it will work :wink:

If somebody has some suggestions share them and we will see what we can work.

BR
Bogdan

1 Like

Can I ask why you didnā€™t? How can we improve the build procedure? How can I help?

1 Like

Hi Davide,
Well, Iā€™ve never builded a rpm before :smile:. But also there are the modifications to the sudoers that I do not know how to make them integrated into the rpm so that at install they will be added to the target sudoers fileā€¦

Also the backup download folder is a symlink, and I do not know if this is the best solution.

If you have some Tips on how I can solve this issues please share :smile:

BR
Bogdan

1 Like

ok Iā€™ve built it for you and pushed to nethforge-testing:
http://packages.nethserver.org/nethserver/6.7/nethforge-testing/x86_64/Packages/nethserver-backup-config-1.4.2-1.10.gc1c2291.ns6.noarch.rpm

I installed it on my VM. It seems backup archives are created, but are not listed by UI.

However, as I was saying some time ago, we need to fix some issues on the UI, to make it more compliant with other modules. I know Nethgui is a bad beast, so Iā€™d try to rework the code. What do you think?

2 Likes

Hi Davide,
Thankx for testing and for building the rpm :smile:

Regarding the issue:
Is there a symlink from the backup folder to the root of the webserver?
Otherwise the function to list the files will not work because it canā€™t get out more then the webserver root.

BR
Bogdan

Thanks Bogdan! That was missing, now I can see the list of backup files.

1 Like

Great :smile:
And the functionality of the number of records to be stored works ?

Have you updated the rpm? Can I test it ?

1 Like

Looks promising, please @davidep let me know when I can test a safe version.

1 Like

It appears that the rpm is not fixed. Iā€™m doing some testing and am not seeing backups listed in the UI. :frowning:

Hi @Adam , this is most probably because the symlink to the backup folder is not created.
you will need to do:

ln -s /var/lib/nethserver/backup /usr/share/nethesis/nethserver-manager/backup

Let me know if it works after this.
BR

1 Like

You can use the createlinks file if you want to make a symlinks during the installation.

2 Likes

Thanks @Ctek, that made the backups show up. I can download backups, but when I try to delete them, I get the following:

Also, are you planning on implementing a graceful method of uploading backups?

Hi @Adam,
You will need to add the script /sbin/e-smith/delete-config to the sudoers, Like in the image

Otherwise the script is not allowed to delete the files.

Yes Iā€™ve also was thinking on adding a upload field to be able to put your backups from outside NS.
Probably the next feature is to add that upload field. :smile:

BR

1 Like

Thanks for the help! It looks almost done!

So how do we get the symlink and the addition of the script into the rpm so those changes donā€™t have to be done manually? @davidep :smiley:

Iā€™m on it, @Adam :wink:

Edit: in nethforge-testing/6.7
nethserver-backup-config-1.4.2-1.12.gbc43eeb.ns6.noarch.rpm

@Ctek, you can cherry-pick my commit here: https://github.com/DavidePrincipi/nethserver-backup-config/commit/bc43eeb2fede96fa25309e739f107dae7fc8f612

3 Likes