Automatic Update notification

Quoting man yum-cron: There of course aren’t any bugs :smile:

Tested on NethServer 7. AFAICS code looks good.

• The YumCron_Description language tag description is missing
  • Download of updates is working (packages present on yum cache)
  • but, if not installed, same updates are reported again on next yum-cron call (Centos bug report #0013501)
  • auto-installation working
  • mail notification delivered (tested with local accounts)
1 Like

damn, again :joy:

See the same locks reported, but no adverse effect observed by now.

Related: RHEL7 Bug report #1439977 — yum-cron’s default random_sleep value excessively delays cron.daily, sometimes breaking logrotate

1 Like

Yes for me it is also a really long delay, but I’m not sure that yum-cron is the cause of this issue.

For ns7

YumCron_Description added
randomWait is a db to specify how much the job wait before to start

yum install http://mirror.de-labrusse.fr/NethDev/nethserver-yum-cron/nethserver-yum-cron-0.1.7-1.ns7.sdl.noarch.rpm

For ns6

YumCron_Description added
randomWait is a db to specify how much the job wait before to start

yum install http://mirror.de-labrusse.fr/NethDev/nethserver-yum-cron/nethserver-yum-cron-0.0.3-1.ns6.sdl.noarch.rpm

Sorry for beeing absent in my own threat. :blush:

Removed own yum-cron istallation and replaced it with your module on production system NS6.
Installation without issue.

Installed module also on a Test-VM NS7. Installation also without issue.
One question: does the admin@domain.tld automatically get the root-mails?
Will report if mails are delivered. Thanks so long.

EDIT: Mails are delivered on NS7 to local accounts. Updates are downloaded to yum cache.
(present in /var/cache/yum/x86_64/nethserver-updates/packages
On NS6 I’ve to wait ubtil some updates are available. :slight_smile:

Tested on NS6 (with notifications to local users). Everything is working.

1 Like

released, with for ns6 a new feature (thank @dnutan), the rpm exclusion is sanitised.

3 Likes

Tested on NS6. Mail is delivered to local account. Everything seems to work.

IMO this should be moved into softwarecenter or directly integrated in the base installation for both NS6 + NS7.
What do you think? @stephdl, @davidep , @alefattorini , @dnutan

1 Like

I agree, on ns7 it could be implemented as a core feature.

I think that notifications could be enabled by default. On a new installation I’d expect notifications are delivered to the local root account. Further config steps needed

• set an external address under root’s profile
  • configure smart host (optional)

Software updates should be disabled, as specified by the upstream default. The admin is the only responsible of applying updates to his system, and can decide to enable automatic updates.

About ns6: I wouldn’t implement new features on the 6 branch. Only bug fixes. However, after implementing this on ns7 we can see if a feature backporting is possible.

3 Likes

Agreed, root is the only recipient, after you can add more recipients.

Yes manual steps, only on the admin side

Yes agreed, only notifications are sent at first

yes…NS6 was a good toy

Just to be sure, do you think that only notifications must be enabled by default or we could enable the notifications AND download the updates ?

Personally I think it can notify AND download the updates, but I can see an argument for the notification only.

It is a case of choosing the option the majority will find the most beneficial.

1 Like

I’d go with notifications only.

Enabling automatic updates is a choice up to the system administrator, nobody else can decide for it.

CentOS comes without automatic updates: again, let’s adhere to upstream defaults.

On my ClearOS6 router/firewall machine i can choose to enable or disable automatic updates… i am using it for about 5 years with autoupdate enabled and nothing brakes from that time… still i don’t know how it will behave if i will use this i.e as a file/www server with auto updates enabled…