Assistance with setting up Nethserver for first time use

Hello Community,

I’ve just installed Nethserver 7 rc2 on my virtual machine. Here is our office setup:

We have an Untangle Security Gateway that currently sits before our network switch and after our modem so all Internet traffic goes through this gateway. Untangle currently also is our firewall, DHCP and DNS server.

My plan is to introduce Nethserver in our our office but not remove Untangle (so Nethserver will sit behind our network switch and Untangle will still be our Gateway and Firewall). I plan on using Nethserver for the following:

1. Active Directory (or at the very least a domain controller)
  2. DHCP Server
  3. DNS Server

As I get to learn more about Nethserver I will expand it’s functions.

*My virtual machine install of Nethserver currently only has 1 NIC attached. Do I need to have two NICS on Nethserver in order to use for these 3 modules listed above?

*What modules do I need to install to setup Active Directory on Nethserver.
We currently don’t have Active Directory…we’ve only used standalone computers with no domain.We are small (perhaps 5-7 workstations would require domain accounts for access). The rest of our servers that serve services are Linux (Debian or CentOS) so they won’t need domain accounts. Is Active Directory overkill for a small office like ours? Perhaps a Domain Controller is all we need?

*What modules do I need to install…or perhaps steps do I need to follow to setup a Domain Controller for the few people who require domain accounts?

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi @greavette

It will be very easy.

The modem connection is in an Untangle port, right? And a connection, from the Untangle to the Network Switch. right?

If you use NethServer as a domain controller and DHCP and DNS server only a nic

Send us a diagram of how the local network is structured

Regards

4 Likes

Thanks @jgjimenezs, appreciate the offer of help!

Basic network structure is this:

Internet > Untangle Router > Switch > Proxmox Host running Nethserver

Hope this works for diagramming our network. The Network Switch is a Star Topology (it’s actually 2 Dell 48 Port Switches together). We have a flat network (no vlans) so it’s pretty basic.

Good to know that I only need one NIC on my Nethserver for using is as a Domain Controller.

Let me know if you need more details.

Thank you,

Right?

4 Likes

Oi Vey! You whipped that up so quick @jgjimenezs :slight_smile:

Yes the second picture would be accurate…two switches (stacked) and workstations, laptops, printers, VM Hosts connected to the switches. We use Proxmox as our Hypervisor (clustered with 4 severs) so I’ll be running Nethserver on Proxmox as a VM to deliver a Domain, DHCP and DNS to our network of virtual machines and physical hardware (printers, laptops, thin clients).

I’ve been reading up on this tutorial (albeit using Nethserver 6) but it had two NICS on Nethserver which threw me off as I thought I only needed one.

Thank you,

1 Like

If you are going to use NethServer as physical hardware, and configure it as AD, Firewall, DHCP & DNS Server, Multi WAN requires 2 or more NICs.

In a virtualization is different.

1 Like

Hello @jgjimenezs

Agreed. My plan is to introduce Nethserver to assist our office so it can be used for Domain, DHCP and DNS but not to remove our physical Untangle Gateway. I will not be using Nethserver for Firewall…that will stay on my Untangle physical server.

I had setup ClearOS as a VM to introduce it as a PDC but I would prefer to use Nethserver 7. In my searches to use Nethserver 7 for the modules I want I’m finding are either for Nethserver 6 or the instructions focus on the setup being a physical install. Are there instructions or steps to use Nethserver the way I want too? If I need two NICS on my virtual Nethserver that can be added easily.

Thank you for any tips or advice you can provide.

2 Likes

NethServer in the medium term will be one of the best Servers.

You can use NethServer as you have planned.

Any other questions we can help you.

1 Like

Thank you @jgjimenezs!

Few more questions for you then…

1. Just to confirm…so all I need is eth0 on my Nethserver install. I have setup a static IP Address on my Nethserver and I’m currently pointing to my Untangle Router as Gateway and DNS Server. Is this correct setup?
  2. Eventually once I have all hardware/virtual machines pointed to our Nethserver for DHCP/DNS, I will want to use Nethserver as a gateway to allow/disallow workstations on the internet. Would have two NICS on our Nethserver make life easier for me? Perhaps have eth0 as the external pointing to our Untangle Gateway and eth1 used only for internal traffic?
  3. What if I turn on DHCP and DNS on my Nethserver…I will use the same subnet (for now just a smaller ranger of IP’s will be deployed from Nethserver as I slowly move all my hardware to point to my Nethserver IP/hostname to take over all DHCP and DNS duties. Do I still only need one Nic (eth0)?
  4. We have a website with a name like follows: mycompany.ca Should the hostname on our Nethserver be something like domain.mycompany.ca or should it be totally different like domain.mycompany.biz? We own both .ca and .biz for mycompany.

Thank you.

Yes, with this configuration NethServer can have Internet, Thus NethServer can provide DHCP, DNS or other services that you want to configure. Must be in the same network

Will you have a physical network and a virtualized network?

Remember that service servers like DHCP will always be active, if your router has it and NethServer also, the stations that request IP addresses to the servers either one can do it.

Router: 10.0.0.30 to 10.0.0.90
NethServer: 10.0.0.200 to 10.0.0.230

Or as you have it configured

I in particular maintain it with the domain of AD.

Regards

1 Like

Sorry @jgjimenezs, I don’t quite understand what you are saying with this last point. What I’m asking is what hostname should I apply to my Nethserver:

nethserver.mycompany.ca
or
nethserver.mycompany.biz

And what Domain should I use in our office then:

ourdomain.mycompany.ca
or
ourdomain.mycompany.biz

Based on the fact that our externally hosted website is mycompany.ca.
Thanks!

Your web domain is related to the domain of the network?

You can use that form you say, remember when placing a host with domain.
Not registered on the internet. Example: firewall.prueba.com and ping your local network not the web

Regards