2nd Email Domain

NethServer Version: v7
Module: Email

I am setting up a 2nd domain on NethServer v7 specifically for managing email.

When I create the users, they are automatically assigned mailboxes for the first domain and I don’t see any obvious way to create mailboxes for the 2nd domain without them being an alias for the first domain.

I don’t see too much of an issue with this; however hen it comes to sending emails for the 2nd domain, which email address gets advertised as sending the email? The email address for the 1st domain or the email address for the 2nd domain?

1 Like

The SMTP client sets the sender address. It is the only responsible for that. Every client has its specific procedure and configuration to specify the sender address.

Roundcube, Webtop, SOGo: by default, they should all use the same domain of the accounts domain, the one from system FQDN hostname.

There is one caveat with roundcube (and probably the other webclients as well):
I have also multiple maildomains for my family, all running on my host. They make use of aliasses:
me@mydomain.com
wife@wifedomain.com
child@childdomain.com
However, since wife and child are users of mydomain.com, they appear twice in my addressbook:
once as the alias (that’s good), and once as user:
wife@mydomain.com
child@mydomain.com.
And although, these are working addresses, I rather not have these out n the Internet.
So I would appreciate (and I suppose OP @bwdjames does so too) the user-mail-address to be suppressed from the address-book…
(In the beta-phase I reported such behavior as well, but it wasn’t picked up.)

If the accounts domain is removed from “Email > Domains” page it is configured to be accessible from trusted clients only. In other words mail to xyz@mydomain.com is allowed from members of mydomain.com only.

See also:

Good point about the caveat for RoubCube @rolf

My main concern is for when emails are being sent out if one looks at the headers they will appear at user@primarydomain.com instead of user@childdomain.com even though the email program is configured correctly with all the details for user@childdomain.com.

For me, the headers will need to reflect the correct domain name and that is a show-stopper.

Can you attach a sample of unwanted headers?

Need to finish all of the testing, but will supply the headers once I have gathered all of the information.

quote @davidep: “If the accounts domain is removed from “Email > Domains” page it is configured to be accessible from trusted clients only. In other words mail to xyz@mydomain.com is allowed from members of mydomain.com only.”

That would fix the issue for mywife.com and mychild.com, but create the issue for mydomain.com.